Elastic collision: Determine the deceleration

In summary, you calculated the velocity of the block as it slides towards the spring and then compresses the spring.
thatstheguy9
Homework Statement
A 8kg block with an initial velocity of 5 m/s travels 2 meters before colliding with a spring.
Spring constant is 200n/m and the coefficient of friction between the block and surface is 0.25.

I've calculated that the block compresses the spring 0.7m before it momentarily stops. The next part asks to determine a expression for the deacceleration of the block in terms of the spring compression, then use that to determine a expression for the velocity in terms of spring compression.
Relevant Equations
Conservation of energy
Friction Force = uN
F = ma
My approach so far is to use F = ma.

The forces acting on the block in the horizonital direction are friction and the force of the spring. Choosing the direction towards the spring as the positive axis.

Therefore: F = ma
-Fr - kx = ma

Solving for a = (-Fr - kx)/m

If I plug in values I end up with a = (-(0.25*9.81*8)-(200*0.25))/8
a = -25x-2.2452

However, when I plug 0.7 into the equation it does not resolve to zero. I am unsure where I'm going wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
thatstheguy9 said:
However, when I plug 0.7 into the equation it does not resolve to zero. I am unsure where I'm going wrong here?
You still have the constant kinetic friction term in your equation. Technically, your equation is only valid while the block is moving (in the positive ##x## direction).

Likes thatstheguy9
thatstheguy9 said:
If I plug in values I end up with a = (-(0.25*9.81*8)-(200*0.25))/8
I assume you mean a = (-(0.25*9.81*8)-(200*x)/8
thatstheguy9 said:
when I plug 0.7 into the equation it does not resolve to zero
Why should it? You calculated that x value based on the velocity becoming zero, not the acceleration.

Likes thatstheguy9, jbriggs444 and PeroK
thatstheguy9 said:
Does the deceleration (magnitude of the acceleration) increase, decrease or stay the same while the spring is compressed?

thatstheguy9 said:
Homework Statement:: A 8kg block with an initial velocity of 5 m/s travels 2 meters before colliding with a spring.
Spring constant is 200n/m and the coefficient of friction between the block and surface is 0.25.

I've calculated that the block compresses the spring 0.7m before it momentarily stops. The next part asks to determine a expression for the deacceleration of the block in terms of the spring compression, then use that to determine a expression for the velocity in terms of spring compression.
It would be helpful to know what the exact question as stated is. Thanks.

Likes thatstheguy9
haruspex said:
I assume you mean a = (-(0.25*9.81*8)-(200*x)/8
My apologies, yes that is correct.
haruspex said:
Why should it? You calculated that x value based on the velocity becoming zero, not the acceleration.
I see. Thank you

bob012345 said:
It would be helpful to know what the exact question as stated is. Thanks.
picca.png

Likes bob012345
PeroK said:
You still have the constant kinetic friction term in your equation. Technically, your equation is only valid while the block is moving (in the positive ##x## direction).
I see. I'm unsure what to do then lol

thatstheguy9 said:
You obtained an expression for the acceleration in terms of the compression (i.e. displacement). Generically it takes the form:
##\ddot x+\alpha x+\beta=0##.
Do you recognise that? What kind of motion do you normally associate with a spring? What is the general form of the solution?

thatstheguy9 said:
If you want to look at the motion as the block rebounds, then you must change the direction of friction in your equation. But also, as noted by @haruspex, the block is always accelerating while being acted on by the spring - an instantaneous velocity of zero does not imply an acceleration of zero.

PeroK said:
If you want to look at the motion as the block rebounds, then you must change the direction of friction in your equation. But also, as noted by @haruspex, the block is always accelerating while being acted on by the spring - an instantaneous velocity of zero does not imply an acceleration of zero.
My interpretation of the question was that we are looking at the motion as the block is slowed by the spring.
That makes sense, however I'm having struggling with deriving the velocity.

So far my acceleration = -25x - 2.452

To find the velocity I am using: a dx = v dv, is this the correct approach?

haruspex said:
You obtained an expression for the acceleration in terms of the compression (i.e. displacement). Generically it takes the form:
##\ddot x+\alpha x+\beta=0##.
Do you recognise that? What kind of motion do you normally associate with a spring? What is the general form of the solution?
Sorry @haruspex I don't recognize that. Is the second derivative of displacement with respect to time? I haven't done any form of harmonic motion so the only concepts I have to solve it are particle dynamics and conservation of energy

thatstheguy9 said:
My interpretation of the question was that we are looking at the motion as the block is slowed by the spring.
That makes sense, however I'm having struggling with deriving the velocity.

So far my acceleration = -25x - 2.452

To find the velocity I am using: a dx = v dv, is this the correct approach?
You need to split the motion into two phases: first, sliding towards the spring; second, compressing the spring.

If you want velocity as a function of distance, then I would use energy.

Note that the diagram you posted shows the units associated with each quantity. You should do this too.

Thanks for the response @PeroK. I have already solved parts 1, 2 and 3 and used conservation of energy in two phases like you suggested for part 3. What's thrown me off the part 4. Are you saying I should apply ## F = ma ## in two phases for this question?

Using energy to find the velocity as a function of distance would be my go-to also. However as the question states derive the velocity from the acceleration expression, the only way I could think to do so was to use ## a ~ dx = v ~ dv ## and integrate both sides 🤷‍♂️

thatstheguy9 said:
Thanks for the response @PeroK. I have already solved parts 1, 2 and 3 and used conservation of energy in two phases like you suggested for part 3. What's thrown me off the part 4. Are you saying I should apply ## F = ma ## in two phases for this question?

Using energy to find the velocity as a function of distance would be my go-to also. However as the question states derive the velocity from the acceleration expression, the only way I could think to do so was to use ## a ~ dx = v ~ dv ## and integrate both sides 🤷‍♂️
Part #4 says to derive acceleration as a function of position ##x## but to then use that to develop an expression for velocity as a function of position ##x##. I do not think it literally means you have to derive it from the acceleration formula you got but to just use it in another relation that relates the quantities you want.

Likes thatstheguy9
What was you speed of the block just as it gets to the spring?

bob012345 said:

I got 3.9 m/s

Likes bob012345
thatstheguy9 said:
I got 3.9 m/s
Now, how far did the spring compress before the block stopped momentarily? Remember comment #2 by @PeroK .

PeroK said:
You need to split the motion into two phases: first, sliding towards the spring; second, compressing the spring.
bob012345 said:
It isn't necessary to split it like that to answer the first part. A single energy equation can be applied from the initial given state until the spring reaches maximum compression:
##(2+x)\mu mg+\frac 12kx^2=\frac 12mv^2##.
In post #1, @thatstheguy9 gave 0.7m for the maximum compression, and to one more decimal place I get 0.69m.

That said, solving the second part using ##a.dx=v.dv## requires the acceleration function to be smooth. So one way is to split it into those two phases; another is only solve it for the compression phase but use the maximum displacement and terminal velocity zero as the boundary condition, avoiding the need to find the velocity on reaching the spring.

@thatstheguy9 , can you solve ##a.dx=v.dv## for the compression phase?

Last edited:
Likes SammyS and bob012345
thatstheguy9 said:

Yes, although if we tinker with that equation, we have $$Fdx = ma ~ dx = mv ~ dv$$And integrating gives the energy equation.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision do not lose any energy during the collision and the total kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same.

2. How is deceleration determined in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the deceleration of an object can be determined by using the equation a = (v2 - v1)/t, where v1 and v2 are the initial and final velocities of the object, and t is the time taken for the object to come to a complete stop. This equation is derived from the basic principles of Newton's laws of motion.

3. What factors affect the deceleration in an elastic collision?

The deceleration in an elastic collision is affected by several factors, including the masses of the objects involved, their initial velocities, and the angle at which they collide. In general, objects with larger masses and higher initial velocities will experience a greater deceleration during an elastic collision.

4. Can the deceleration in an elastic collision be negative?

Yes, the deceleration in an elastic collision can be negative. This occurs when the final velocity of the object is greater than its initial velocity, resulting in a negative value for the deceleration. This can happen if the objects involved in the collision have different masses and velocities, causing one object to gain speed while the other loses speed.

5. How is the coefficient of restitution related to the deceleration in an elastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision and is defined as the ratio of the final velocity of an object to its initial velocity. In an elastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, meaning that the final velocity is equal to the initial velocity. Therefore, the deceleration in an elastic collision can be calculated by subtracting the initial velocity from the final velocity and dividing by the time taken for the object to come to a complete stop.