Elastic Collision with a Spring Constant

In summary, a pinball with mass 80g is struck by a lever with mass 80g in an elastic collision in a pinball machine. The lever is pulled back 2 cm by a spring with a spring constant of k=1.4N/cm. The goal is to find the speed of the ball just after the collision. Using the equations F=kx and 1/2kx^2=1/2mv^2, the velocity of the lever just before contact can be found to be 0.37 m/s. However, the answer choices provided do not align with this velocity and further clarification is needed.
Drstevebrule

Homework Statement

A pinball with mass 80g is struck by a lever with mass 80g in a pinball machine in an elastic collision. The lever was pulled back 2 cm by a spring with spring constant k=1.4N/cm. What is the speed of the ball just after collision?

Homework Equations

F=kx

1/2kx^2=1/2mv^2

M1V1 = M2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2 (2.8)(4)=5.6 5.6=1/2 (80) v^2 <-- trying to find velocity of lever just before contact

5.6/40 = v^2 V=.37

now this is where i get even more stuck, the masses of the ball and the lever are equal and they cancel out in the equation M1V1 = M2V2, which would leave the velocities as being equal. However, the answer choices are as follows:

A) 1.1 m/s
B) 1.4 m/s
C) 11 m/s
D) 14 m/s

If someone can shed some light on how to solve this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First thing I would look at is units. g to kg

centimeters to meters, I would change both and see how it works out.

i tried that, and i am still stumped

What is an elastic collision with a spring constant?

An elastic collision with a spring constant is a type of collision between two objects where kinetic energy is conserved and the objects involved behave like a spring. In other words, the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy and the force between them is proportional to the distance they are compressed or stretched.

What is the formula for calculating the spring constant in an elastic collision?

The formula for calculating the spring constant (k) in an elastic collision is k = (2mV^2)/(x^2), where m is the mass of the object, V is the velocity, and x is the distance the object is compressed or stretched during the collision.

How does the spring constant affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

The spring constant affects the outcome of an elastic collision by determining the force between the objects involved. A higher spring constant means the force between the objects will be stronger, resulting in a more intense collision.

Can the spring constant change during an elastic collision?

Yes, the spring constant can change during an elastic collision if the objects involved deform or change shape during the collision. This is because the spring constant is dependent on the distance the object is compressed or stretched, which can change if the shape of the object changes.

What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions with a spring constant?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions with a spring constant include bouncing a ball on the ground, a trampoline, or a pogo stick. In these scenarios, the objects involved (the ball, trampoline, or pogo stick) behave like springs, causing an elastic collision with a spring constant.