Elastic scattering of WIMPs off nuclei

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a cryogenic calorimeter for detecting WIMPs, specifically neutralinos. It is shown that for maximum energy transfer, the nucleus should be chosen so that its mass is equal to the WIMP mass. The question is raised as to why this is the case, and it is clarified that the maximum is with respect to the nuclei mass, not the WIMP mass.
maximus123
Hello,

My problem is as follows

Suppose we want to design a cryogenic calorimeter for detecting WIMPs, such as neutralinos
[itex](\chi)[/itex]. One can show that if a [itex]\chi[/itex] has an elastic collision with a nucleus of mass [itex]m_N[/itex] in the calorimeter, the kinetic energy transferred to the nucleus is

[itex]\Delta E=\frac{m_Nm_{\chi}^2}{(m_N+m_{\chi})^2}v^2(1-\textrm{cos}\theta)[/itex]
where [itex]v[/itex] is the neutralino’s velocity in the lab frame and θ is the scattering angle in the c.m.
frame.

Show that to get the maximum energy transfer for a given [itex]m_{\chi}[/itex], the nucleus should be
chosen such that [itex]m_N[/itex] = [itex]m_{\chi}[/itex].
I've tried differentiating to find the maximum and I've tried plotting E against [itex]m_{\chi}[/itex] for a range of values and this did not suggest a maximum at [itex]m_N = m_{\chi}[/itex]. Could someone explain why it is the case that the energy transfer is maximum when these masses are equal?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a maximum with respect to the nuclei mass (the thing we can change), not with respect to the WIMP mass (which we cannot influence).

Yeah I figured that out, I was being an idiot. Thanks for the help though.

1. What are WIMPs and how do they interact with nuclei?

WIMPs (Weakly Interacting Massive Particles) are hypothetical particles that are believed to make up a large portion of dark matter in the universe. They are thought to interact with ordinary matter very weakly, primarily through the weak nuclear force.

2. What is elastic scattering and how does it relate to WIMPs?

Elastic scattering is a type of interaction in which particles collide and bounce off each other with no change in their properties. In the context of WIMPs, elastic scattering refers to the process in which a WIMP collides with a nucleus and transfers some of its energy to the nucleus, causing it to recoil.

3. How do scientists detect elastic scattering of WIMPs off nuclei?

Scientists use specialized detectors, such as cryogenic detectors or noble liquid detectors, to search for the faint signals of elastic scattering events. These detectors are designed to be extremely sensitive to small energy deposits, which may indicate a WIMP-nucleus collision.

4. What information can be gained from studying elastic scattering of WIMPs off nuclei?

Studying elastic scattering of WIMPs off nuclei can provide valuable information about the properties of WIMPs, such as their mass and interaction strength. It can also help us understand the distribution and nature of dark matter in the universe.

5. Is there evidence for elastic scattering of WIMPs off nuclei?

While there have been some potential detections of WIMPs through elastic scattering, the evidence is still inconclusive and requires further confirmation. Many ongoing experiments are dedicated to searching for this type of interaction and gathering more data to better understand the elusive nature of WIMPs.