Electric circuits problems, finding current.

In summary, the initial circuit consisted of a cell of unknown voltage, a resistor R1 of 4.0 Ω, a resistor R2 of 6.0 Ω, and a current of 3.0 A through R2. When a wrench was dropped on the circuit, it created a parallel path and reduced the current through R2 to 1.0 A. The current through the wrench can be found by calculating the voltage drop across the wrench, which is 20 V, and using Ohm's Law to find the resistance of the wrench. Therefore, the correct answer is c) 5.0 A.
physics604
1. A series circuit initially consists of a cell of unknown voltage, a resistor R2 of 4.0 Ω, and another resistor R2 of 6.0 Ω. A student measures the current through R2 to be 3.0 A. When a wrench that has a small resistance is dropped on the circuit, the current through R2 is reduced to 1.0 A. What is the current flowing through the wrench? (Assume the supply voltage remains constant.)

a) 1.0 A
b) 2.0 A
c) 5.0 A
d) 7.5 A

To summarize:

R1=4.0 Ω
R2= 6.0Ω
I2 initially= 3.0 A
I2 with wrench= 1.0 A
Find I (current) going through the wrench.

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is a) 1.0 A, but it is wrong. The correct answer is c) 5.0 A but I don't understand why.

I was told that in a series circuit, the current should be the same throughout. So in the circuit (with wrench), if the current is measured after a resistor to have a current of 1.0 A, shouldn't the current through the wrench be the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
physics604 said:
1. A series circuit initially consists of a cell of unknown voltage, a resistor R2 of 4.0 Ω, and another resistor R2 of 6.0 Ω. A student measures the current through R2 to be 3.0 A. When a wrench that has a small resistance is dropped on the circuit, the current through R2 is reduced to 1.0 A. What is the current flowing through the wrench? (Assume the supply voltage remains constant.)

a) 1.0 A
b) 2.0 A
c) 5.0 A
d) 7.5 A

To summarize:

R1=4.0 Ω
R2= 6.0Ω
I2 initially= 3.0 A
I2 with wrench= 1.0 A
Find I (current) going through the wrench.

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is a) 1.0 A, but it is wrong. The correct answer is c) 5.0 A but I don't understand why.

I was told that in a series circuit, the current should be the same throughout. So in the circuit (with wrench), if the current is measured after a resistor to have a current of 1.0 A, shouldn't the current through the wrench be the same?

Dropping the wrench onto the circuit is unlikely to insert the wrench into the series scenario. Instead, it will likely lie across some component, providing a parallel path...

Initially:

R1 = 4.0 Ω
I1 = 3.0 A
V1 = 12.0 V

R2 = 6.0 Ω
I2 = 3.0 A
V2 = 18.0 V

So VT = 30.0 V

With wrench:

VT = 30.0 V

R1 = 4.0 Ω
I1 = 1.0 A
V1 = 4.0 V

R2 = 6.0 Ω
I2 = 1.0 A
V2 = 6.0 V

Vwrench = 20 V

But I still don't know R of the wrench so I can't figure out I.

Gneill correctly states, Dropping the wrench onto the circuit is unlikely to insert the wrench into the series scenario. Instead, it will likely lie across some component, providing a parallel path...

Draw a diagram of the initial circuit. Then figure out where you could drop a wrench that would reduce the current through R2. Then work the circuit.

Okay, I got it! (plus the three other questions I posted as well).

Thanks!

Related to Electric circuits problems, finding current.

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a closed loop or pathway that allows electricity to flow from a power source to a load. It typically consists of a power source (such as a battery), conductors (wires), and a load (such as a light bulb).

2. How do you calculate current in an electric circuit?

To calculate current, you can use Ohm's law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). This can be expressed as I = V/R. You can also use a multimeter, which measures current directly.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) is a type of electrical current that changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) flows in only one direction. AC is typically used in household electrical systems, while DC is commonly used in electronic devices.

4. How do you solve for current in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, current remains constant throughout the circuit. To solve for current, you can use the same formula as above (I = V/R), but make sure to use the total resistance of the circuit.

5. What factors can affect the current in an electric circuit?

The current in an electric circuit can be affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the circuit components, and the type of circuit (series or parallel). Temperature and the material of the conductors can also impact the current flow.