Electric field and potential problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Earth's potential and electric field just outside its surface, given a surface charge density of 1 electron/metre^2 and a radius of 6400 km. The solution involves using the formula for surface charge density of a sphere and incorporating the value of ε0, resulting in values of -1.8×10^-8 volt/m for the electric field and -0.116 volt for the potential.
gracy

Homework Statement

Suppose that Earth has a surface charge density of 1 electron/metre^2 .Calculate Earth's potential and electric field just outside Earth's surface.Radius of Earth 6400 km

Homework Equations

surface charge density of sphere=##Q##/##4πR^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's assume Earth to be spherical.Then
surface charge density of sphere=##Q##/##4πR^2##
##Q##=-##1.6##×##10^-19##×##4πR^2##
Electrical field of a sphere at distance r=##E##=##\frac{Q}{4πr^2}##
Earth's field just outside Earth's surface
We can take r=R
Therefore Earth's field =just outside Earth's surface=##E##=##\frac{Q}{4πR^2}##
=##E##=##\frac{-1.6×10^-19×4πR^2}{4πR^2}##
=-1.6×10^-19V/m
But it is wrong.I want to know what went wrong.Similarly in case of potential difference
##V##=##\frac{Q}{4πR}##
=##\frac{-1.6×10^-19×4πR^2}{4πR}##
=-1.6×10^-19×R
=-1.6×10^-19×64×10^5
=102.4×10^-14 V
It is also wrong,I want reason.
Thanks!
EDIT:I think I have got .There is something called"ε0".
gracy!

Physics news on Phys.org
So,just put ##ε0##in formula of ##E##And ##V##.Problem solved.
Solution:##E##=##\frac{Q}{4πε0R^2}##

=##\frac{-1.6×10^-19×4πR^2}{4πε0R^2}##

=##\frac{-1.6×10^-19}{8.854×10^-12}##

=-1.8×10^-8 volt/m

Solution:##V##=##\frac{Q}{4πε0R}##

=##\frac{-1.6×10^-19×4πR^2}{4πε0R}##

= ##\frac{ 1.6×10^-19×R}{ε0}##

=-##\frac{1.6×10^-19×64×10^5}{8.854×10^-12}##

=-0.116 volt

Likes BvU
gracy said:
Earth's field just outside Earth's surface
We can take r=R
Am I right here?

gracy said:
Am I right here?
Yes, that's fine. Technically it would be r = R + ε, where ε is an infinitesimal displacement so that you're just barely off the surface of the sphere. But R is so large by comparison that R + ε → R.

Likes gracy

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space around a charged object where the electric force acts on other charged objects. It is represented by electric field lines, which indicate the direction and strength of the electric force.

How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured by the force per unit charge, also known as the electric field intensity. It is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).

What is the relationship between electric field and electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit of charge. It is closely related to electric field, as the direction of electric field lines is always perpendicular to lines of constant electric potential. In other words, the electric field points in the direction of decreasing electric potential.

How does the presence of multiple charged objects affect the electric field and potential?

In the presence of multiple charged objects, the electric field and potential will be affected by the superposition principle. This means that the total electric field and potential at any point is the vector sum of the individual electric fields and potentials created by each charged object.

How is the electric field and potential related to the movement of charges?

The electric field exerts a force on charged particles, causing them to move in the direction of the electric field lines. The electric potential, on the other hand, determines the direction and speed of the charged particles as they move through the electric field. In other words, the electric field accelerates charged particles, while the electric potential determines their velocity.