Electric field between conducting and non-conducting sheets

In summary, the electric field at the left of the left sheet is zero, between the sheets the field is infinite, and the field at the right of the right sheet is zero.
Mirza Danish Baig

Homework Statement

Two infinite sheets of charges are placed parallel to each other. If the sheet on the left is non conducting and have a uniform charge density 3(sigma) and the one on the right is conducting and has a uniform charge density (sigma). If the area on both plates is 1m^2 then calculate the value of electric field at (a) to the left of left sheet (b) in between the sheets (c) to the right of right sheet.

Homework Equations

gauss law E= (sigma)/2€o
E=(sigma)/€o

The Attempt at a Solution

I am attempting it to do it by definitions. I think that the field at the right of the right sheet will be 0 because right sheet is conducting but I don't know if at the left of left sheet the value will be sum of two fields of the sheets or not and what will be the electric field at middle

Physics news on Phys.org
Mirza Danish Baig said:
the one on the right is conducting and has a uniform charge density (sigma)
This is unclear: Does this include the charge density on both sides of the plate? (I would assume so: The total charge density is sigma.)

Mirza Danish Baig said:
I think that the field at the right of the right sheet will be 0 because right sheet is conducting
The field within the material of the conducting plate must be zero, but not outside it.

Doc Al said:
This is unclear: Does this include the charge density on both sides of the plate? (I would assume so: The total charge density is sigma.)
yes I guess so. But its not mention in the question.

So you're saying that the charged sheet has a surface charge of 3σ and the conducting sheet has a charge of σ?

Mirza Danish Baig said:
Two infinite sheets of charges
Mirza Danish Baig said:
If the area on both plates is 1m^2
??

Yeah, quite a bit about this problem statement is not quite clear. Can you post it exactly as it appears, word for word?

Doc Al said:
you're
yes. they have given us symbols inspite of numeric values. We have to drive formulas for it. and that's the exact wordings that are written in my note book.

Well, ignoring the fact that the "infinite" sheets have an area of 1 m^2, you can just treat them as infinite sheets of charge. Unless there is more to this question, the fact that one is a conducting sheet is irrelevant.

I think if the conducting sheet has some small width ##\Delta x## then we ll have to calculate the induced charged density on it and we can speak of the inner and outer surface charge densities on it.. However If its width is zero , so it is purely 2Dimensional then we don't have to bother with that.

Assuming you're given the total surface charge on the conducting plate (both sides total), you won't have to worry about any induced surface charges since they don't ask for that.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged object by other charged objects. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field between conducting and non-conducting sheets different?

The electric field between conducting and non-conducting sheets is different because conducting sheets allow for the flow of electric charges while non-conducting sheets do not. This affects the distribution of charges and the strength of the electric field between the two sheets.

3. How is the electric field calculated between conducting and non-conducting sheets?

The electric field between conducting and non-conducting sheets can be calculated using the equation E = σ/ε, where E is the electric field, σ is the charge density on the sheets, and ε is the permittivity of the material between the sheets.

4. What is the significance of the electric field between conducting and non-conducting sheets?

The electric field between conducting and non-conducting sheets plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and interactions of electric charges in a system. It can affect the movement of charges, the distribution of charges, and the overall strength of the electric force between the sheets.

5. How does the distance between conducting and non-conducting sheets affect the electric field?

The distance between conducting and non-conducting sheets can affect the electric field between them. As the distance increases, the strength of the electric field decreases, and vice versa. This is due to the inverse relationship between electric field strength and distance.