Electric Field Between two Parallel Conducting Plates of Equal Charge

In summary, the electric field magnitude at any point set up by a charged nonconducting infinite sheet (with uniform charge distribution) is ##E = \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}##. When the charges on the two plates are brought near each other, the field between them becomes ##4\sigma_1/(2\epsilon_0)##.
rtareen
Attached is the subsection of the book I am referring to. The previous section states that the electric field magnitude at any point set up by a charged nonconducting infinite sheet (with uniform charge distribution) is ##E = \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}##.

Then we move onto the attached section, conducting parallel plates of equal and opposite charge.

We know that the charge density for each face of either plate when isolated is ##\sigma_1##. When we bring them near each other the charges all move to the interior faces so that each interior face has charge density ##2\sigma_1 = \sigma##.

The book doesn't explain, but I believe they then use the formula for a nonconducting sheet to to find the field between them at any point. Since the fields both point in the same direction that's the same as saying the charge density is ##4\sigma_1 = 2\sigma##. Is that right?

Next, by plugging this into the field formula for a nonconducting sheet, which we can do because the two faces act as two nonconductors as the charges on the faces of the opposite plates will not move away from each other, we get that:

##E = \cfrac{4\sigma_1}{2\epsilon_0} = \cfrac{2\sigma_1}{\epsilon_0} = \cfrac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}##

Let me know if I understood this correctly.

Attachments

• TwoConductingPlates.pdf
    153.7 KB · Views: 303
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have most everything right other than the charge density is not ## 4 \sigma_1 ##. The charge density is ## +2 \sigma_1 ## on one plate, and ##-2 \sigma_1 ## on the other. You can use the non-conducting sheet formula along with superposition to get the ## E =4 \sigma_1/(2 \epsilon_o)## between the plates.

Last edited:
Likes rtareen
Charles Link said:
I think you have most everything right other than the charge density is not ## 4 \sigma_1 ##. The charge density is ## +2 \sigma_1 ## on one plate, and ##-2 \sigma_1 ## on the other. You can use the non-conducting sheet formula along with superposition to get the ## E =4 \sigma_1/(2 \epsilon_o)## between the plates.

Thank you!

Likes Charles Link

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of electric forces on charged particles. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is created by electric charges.

How is the electric field between two parallel conducting plates of equal charge calculated?

The electric field between two parallel conducting plates of equal charge can be calculated using the equation E = σ/ε0, where E is the electric field, σ is the surface charge density, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

What is the direction of the electric field between two parallel conducting plates of equal charge?

The electric field between two parallel conducting plates of equal charge is always perpendicular to the plates, pointing away from the positively charged plate and towards the negatively charged plate.

How does the distance between the two parallel conducting plates affect the electric field?

The electric field between two parallel conducting plates of equal charge is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates. This means that as the distance between the plates decreases, the electric field strength increases, and vice versa.

What is the significance of the electric field between two parallel conducting plates of equal charge?

The electric field between two parallel conducting plates of equal charge plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as capacitors and parallel plate instruments. It also helps us understand the behavior of electric charges and their interactions with each other.