Max surface charge of a conductive plate

In summary: The surface charge equation would be different because the potential difference between the plates would be different.
Bhope69199
1. Can I use the surface charge equation:

$$Q = \frac{Vk\epsilon_0A}{d}$$

Where V = Voltage, k = dielectric constant, ϵ0 = permittivity of free space , A = Area of plate and d = distance between plates.

For a conductive plate within an electric field? My thinking is that if the plate is placed within an electric field, then grounded, it essentially becomes the lower potential plate of the electric field generating system. There would no longer be an electric field between the original lower potential plate and the conductive plate placed within the electric field.

2. If this plate is grounded the charge Q will flow to the ground in order to ensure that the plate and ground are at the same potential. If this electric field is constant would there be a continuous flow of charge Q to the ground?

3. If not, how much charge would flow to the ground and is there an equation that relates the size of the plate and the charge that would flow to the ground if it wasn't Q and what effect does the electric field have (i.e does it increase the charge on the surface? or does the need for the potential to be the same as ground negate this effect?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Bhope69199 said:
the surface charge equation:
$$Q = \frac{Vk\epsilon_0A}{d}$$
Where V = Voltage, k = dielectric constant, ϵ0 = permittivity of free space , A = Area of plate and d = distance between plates.

For a conductive plate within an electric field?
Seems you are asking this for a single plate, so :
What ##d## do you have in mind ?
And what ##V## ?

If you are asking what happens when a single unconnected conducting flat plate is placed in an electric field ##\vec E## (with the surface of the plate ##\perp\ \vec E ## ) : make a sketch and ask yourself about the field inside the plate.

Likes berkeman
In both cases where d is larger than A and d is much smaller than A? V is say 1000V.

The field inside the plate of a conductor within an electric field would be zero. So the charge on the plate would be zero in that case. But if it was grounded surely it would become the lower potential plate so therefore it would have a charge associated to it?

Bhope69199 said:
d is much smaller than A
##d## and ##A## cannot be compared: they have different dimensions.

So are we talking about ONE or TWO plates now?
Bhope69199 said:
For a conductive plate within an electric field?
It becomes a little tiring to write IF single plate then ... else if two plates then ... Still don't see no picture ...

I've found an answer to question 1. from this link - https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/108231/charge-distribution-on-plates

Question 2. Does this charge flow continuously or only once? Am I correct in thinking that it only flows once there is no charge on the outer plates, in order to reach equilibrium.

Question 3. Is there a relationship of plate area to charge? Yes - it is just the original surface charge equation.

DId I post in vain ? Or were my questions unclear ?

BvU said:
DId I post in vain ? Or were my questions unclear ?

I was going to add a picture then found that link. I think it answers your questions and have thought about my initial questions with regards to that answer. If my thinking is wrong please tell me. If it doesn't answer your question I didn't understand what you were asking for.

Ah, so now instead of 1 or 2 plates (still unclear !) we are up to three and we don't worry about ##\vec E## any more. Glad you are happy. Let's assume we saw different things to focus on. Can happen in a forum, so don't worrry.
:smile:

I think I see where I didn't explain it properly, sorry about that.

Would the surface charge equation differ if we had two plates (Say plates B and C in the link and plate C was at 1000V) ?

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of "max surface charge" for a conductive plate?

The concept of "max surface charge" for a conductive plate refers to the maximum amount of charge that can be accumulated on the surface of the plate before it reaches its capacity and can no longer hold any more charge.

2. How is the max surface charge of a conductive plate determined?

The max surface charge of a conductive plate is determined by its surface area, the material it is made of, and the dielectric constant of the surrounding medium. These factors affect the capacitance of the plate, which in turn determines the maximum charge it can hold.

3. Can the max surface charge of a conductive plate be increased?

Yes, the max surface charge of a conductive plate can be increased by increasing its surface area, using a material with a higher dielectric constant, or by changing the surrounding medium to one with a higher dielectric constant. This will increase the capacitance of the plate and therefore increase its maximum charge capacity.

4. What happens if the max surface charge of a conductive plate is exceeded?

If the max surface charge of a conductive plate is exceeded, the excess charge will either dissipate into the surrounding medium or cause the plate to break down. This can result in damage to the plate or other nearby components.

5. How is the max surface charge of a conductive plate relevant in practical applications?

The max surface charge of a conductive plate is relevant in practical applications such as capacitors, where it determines the maximum amount of charge that can be stored. It is also important in electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection, as exceeding the max surface charge can lead to damaging voltage spikes.