Electric Field due to a disk of radius R in the xy-plane

In summary: If you want to be really consistent, you write ##d\vec E = {1\over 4\pi\varepsilon_0} \; {1\over r^2}\;{\vec p - \vec r' \over |\vec r|^2 } \; dA## and then integrate over the area of the disk.In summary, the conversation discusses the approach to solving a question involving a charged disk of radius R and a uniform electric field at a specific point. The conversation delves into using surface integration to solve the problem, and the correct notation for the variables and equations is also discussed. It is concluded that the problem can be solved using double integration rather than vector surface integration
neroE
Homework Statement
N/A
Relevant Equations
Coulomb's law mainly.
Hello,
This question, which I found in various electricitiy and magnetism books (e.g. Introduction to electrodynamics grif.).

There are many variations of this question, I am mainly interested in the following setup of it:
-Suppose there is a charged disk of radius R lying in the xy-plane, and the electric field is uniform. What is the electric field at the point P(0,0,z)?

I know this can be solved by first considering a ring, deriving a formula for it, and then summing the infinite number of rings that make up a disk (via integration), and thus, the desired result is yielded. However, I am more interested in how to approach this using surface integration?I started with the parametrization G(u,v) = <ucos(v),u*sin(v),0> and found the normal unit vector to be <0,0,1>
where: 0<u<R and 0<v<2*pi

But, I am not sure how to continue from there, I attached a pdf showing my subsequent steps, which I am not sure if it is valid or not.
Please help, and thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    190.3 KB · Views: 80
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @neroE ,
:welcome: ##\qquad ## !​

neroE said:
which I found in various electricitiy and magnetism books
Probably not : instead of
neroE said:
and the electric field is uniform
do you mean 'and the charge is uniformly distributed' ##\qquad## ?You also want to
  • explain the symbols you are using (##G## ?) in words or in a picture
  • write legibly -- or, better: use ##\LaTeX##
  • read the PF guidelines

##\ ##

Likes nasu, MatinSAR and neroE
Hi @BvU ,
Yes, sorry, the charge is uniformly distributed.
I did not use any symbols except the common three symbols:
r: radius that varies in the disk (I.e.starts from r=0 till r=R)
theta: which is the angle that kind of describes the ring/disk (I.e. starts from 0 to 2pi).
G: This is just to indicate a mapping is occuring (I.e. G(r,theta) means parametrizing the surface using r and theta, and then: G(r,theta) = <rcos(theta),rsin(theta),0> means x=rcos(theta), y=rsin(theta), z=0.
I apologise if this notation is not that common, I read it in a calculus textbook before.
Lastly, I know some latex; however, I may not be able to write the pdf I attached completely in latex as I did not learn that much latex. So, please excuse my first post not being in latex, and hopefully my next posts will be in Latex as I will be learning it.
Thank you in advance.

Your expression ##dr\,d\theta## for ##dA## is wrong. It needs to have units of area. You forgot to multiply by the Jacobian, which will give you a factor of ##r##.

Likes MatinSAR, vanhees71 and neroE
Ok, and I suppose
1678728290829.png
is the Coulomb constant, a.k.a. ##\displaystyle {1\over 4\pi\varepsilon_0}## :smile: .

( re notation: I use separate symbols for the vector in the disk and the vector from ## dA## to point P )

You have ##\vec r = \vec p -\vec r' ## with ##\vec p =<0,0,z>## and ##\vec r'= <r'\cos\theta,r'\sin\theta,0>## and ##\hat r = {\vec r \over |\vec r|} ##
And then I can follow $$d\vec E = {1\over 4\pi\varepsilon_0} \; {1\over r^2}\;{\vec p - \vec r' \over |\vec r| } \; dQ$$
where ## dQ = \sigma dA = \sigma r' dr'\, d\theta ## (*)

Note that ##dQ## is a scalar !

( (*) I have the impression you overlooked the factor ##r'## ? Nice to see vela agrees...)​
In sort, I agree with your
1678730089811.png
(quoting ##\LaTeX## really is a lot more comfortable :wink:).

Except that it looks as if you think ##dA## is a vector and then in the subsequent
1678730174238.png

you come up with dot product ##\vec r \cdot \vec n##

neroE said:
which I am not sure if it is valid or not
I don't think it's valid, but here it works because you pick out the ##z## component, which is the only one that doesn't cancel from symmetry.

##\ ##

Likes MatinSAR, neroE and vela
Hi,
I learnt some latex, not the best but at least better :smile:.
1.PNG

2.PNG

Thanks @vela and @BvU.
I think my main initial problem was treating the problem as a vector surface integration question, and in this, we always convert F*dA(vector) to scalar surface integral by parametrization and finding the normal vector (which is kinda the "jacobian"). But, as both of you have stated, I just realized that it is just a double integration problem and no need for vector fields I guess.
Thanks in advance!

neroE said:
Hi,
I learnt some latex, not the best but at least better :smile:.

Great ! Would be even better to embed it in the post: in-line math enclosed in double ## and displayed math enclosed in double $$
More tips: use \cos and \sin and ##\theta## instead of ##(\theta)##

neroE said:
1678791128308.png

I think my main initial problem was treating the problem as a vector surface integration question, and in this, we always convert F*dA(vector) to scalar surface integral by parametrization and finding the normal vector (which is kinda the "jacobian"). But, as both of you have stated, I just realized that it is just a double integration problem and no need for vector fields I guess.
Yep. As stated, ##dQ = \sigma \, dA = \sigma \,r'\,dr'\, d\theta## , ALL scalars. So you can't replace ##r'\ (=|r'|) ## by ## <r'\cos\theta,r'\sin\theta,0>##

1678792110043.png

(1) not correct to replace ##dA## by a vector
(2) you take a dot product where you should multiply with ##|r'|## (and in the denominator you write ##r^2## instead of ##r'^{\, 2} \ ##)

But I think we start repeating things :wink: .

##\ ##

• Informative
Likes neroE, vanhees71 and MatinSAR
Alright, thank you very much @BvU
I learnt a lot of things from this thread & some latex.
:smile:

Likes BvU

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds electrically charged particles and exerts force on other charged particles within the field. It is represented by a vector quantity and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

How is the electric field due to a disk of radius R in the xy-plane calculated?

The electric field due to a disk of radius R in the xy-plane is calculated using the formula E = σ/2ε0, where σ is the surface charge density of the disk and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

What factors affect the magnitude of the electric field?

The magnitude of the electric field is affected by the distance from the charged object, the amount of charge on the object, and the permittivity of the medium surrounding the object. In the case of a disk, the radius of the disk also affects the magnitude of the electric field.

Is the electric field uniform or non-uniform around a disk?

The electric field around a disk is non-uniform, meaning it varies in magnitude and direction at different points around the disk. The field is strongest at the edges of the disk and decreases as you move towards the center.

How does the direction of the electric field change as you move away from the disk?

The direction of the electric field changes as you move away from the disk. At points directly above or below the center of the disk, the field is perpendicular to the surface of the disk. As you move towards the edges of the disk, the field becomes more parallel to the surface.