Electric field due to a flat hollow disk

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field at the center of two semicircles with a uniform charge distribution. By considering the symmetry of the problem, the magnitude of the field is calculated using the integral in polar coordinates. The direction of the field is given by ##cos(\theta )\imath + sen(\theta )\jmath ##, but since the field is fixed and uniform, the ##\imath ## component is canceled, resulting in a final answer of ##\vec{E} = \frac {\sigma}{2\pi \epsilon _0} ln(\frac {R_2}{R_1}) \hat{\jmath} ##. There may be a need for a minus sign in the vector
madafo3435
Homework Statement
A charge distribution with a uniform positive charge surface density + σ is formed by a circular section of radii R1 and R2.
Relevant Equations
Charges to continuous charge distributions
I would like if my procedure is correct ...

Due to the symmetry of the problem, I only worry about the vertical coordinate of the field, so I will work with the magnitude of the field, and I will treat the problem in polar coordinates.

##E= \int_{R_1} ^ {R_2} \int_{0} ^ {\pi} \frac {\sigma sen(\theta)}{4\pi \epsilon _0 r^2} rd\theta dr = \frac {\sigma}{4\pi \epsilon _0} \int_{R_1}^{R_2} \frac {2}{r} dr = \frac {\sigma}{2\pi \epsilon _0} ln(\frac {R_2}{R_1})##

## \therefore \vec{E} = \frac {\sigma}{2\pi \epsilon _0} ln(\frac {R_2}{R_1}) \hat{\jmath} ##
I attach a picture of the problem below.

Is this correct?

Attachments

• charge.pdf
    332.7 KB · Views: 177
Physics news on Phys.org
It appears to me you are on the right track, but is the problem asking for the E field at the center of the semicircles?

Can you explain why sinθ and not cosθ?

CPW said:
It appears to me you are on the right track, but is the problem asking for the E field at the center of the semicircles?

Can you explain why sinθ and not cosθ?

Because the direction of ##\vec{E}## is given by ##cos(\theta )\imath + sen(\theta )\jmath ## and due to the fixedness and uniformity, the as a component in ##\imath ## total is canceled

Do you agree with me?

I agree. Nice work.
But with y-axis up in your figure, shouldn't you include a minus sign in your vector answer?

Likes madafo3435
CPW said:
I agree. Nice work.
But with y-axis up in your figure, shouldn't you include a minus sign in your vector answer?
Thanks for your appreciation

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field due to a flat hollow disk?

The formula for calculating the electric field due to a flat hollow disk is E = (σ/2ε₀)(1 - (r/R)), where σ is the surface charge density, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, r is the distance from the center of the disk, and R is the radius of the disk.

2. How does the electric field vary with distance from the center of the disk?

The electric field varies linearly with distance from the center of the disk. As the distance increases, the electric field decreases.

3. What is the direction of the electric field due to a flat hollow disk?

The direction of the electric field due to a flat hollow disk is perpendicular to the surface of the disk and points away from the disk for points outside the disk. Inside the disk, the electric field is zero.

4. How does the electric field due to a flat hollow disk compare to that of a solid disk?

The electric field due to a flat hollow disk is half the magnitude of the electric field due to a solid disk at the same distance from the center. This is because the charge on the inner and outer surfaces of the hollow disk cancel out, resulting in a lower overall surface charge density.

5. Can the electric field due to a flat hollow disk be negative?

Yes, the electric field due to a flat hollow disk can be negative. This occurs when the distance from the center of the disk is greater than the radius of the disk, resulting in a negative value for the electric field calculation.