Electric Field & Force: 3 Spheres on x-Axis

In summary, sphere B is missing and the electric field at the point where sphere B would be located is 196 N/C.
roam

Homework Statement

Three small spheres are placed at fixed points along the x-axis, whose positive direction points towards the right.

Sphere A is at x = 46.0 cm, with a charge of –6.00 μC.
Sphere B is at x = 55.0 cm, with a charge of 6.00 μC.
Sphere C is at x = 59.0 cm, with a charge of –7.00 μC.

(a) Calculate the magnitude of the electrostatic force on sphere B.

(b) What would be the magnitude of the electric field at the point where sphere B was located?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's law [tex]\vec{F_{1,2}}= k_e \frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}[/tex]

electric field: [tex]\vec{E}=\frac{\vec{F_e}}{q_0}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{E}= k_e \frac{q}{r^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a), I have used Coulomb's law as follows:

[tex]\vec{F_{A,B}}= (8.9 \times 10^9) \frac{(6 \times 10^{-6} C) (6 \times 10^{-6} C)}{9^2}[/tex]

= 3.95 x 10-3 N

[tex]\vec{F_{C,B}}= (8.9 \times 10^9) \frac{(7 \times 10^{-6} C) (6 \times 10^{-6} C)}{4^2}[/tex]

= 0.02336 N

Taking FA,B as negative and FC,B to be positive:

0.02336 - 3.95 x 10-3 N = 0.0194 N

But the answer must be 196 N. What's wrong?

(b) I tried the 3rd equation equation above but it didn't work...

[tex](8.9 \times 10^9) \frac{196}{9^2} = 2.15 \times 10^{10}[/tex]

Again this is wrong. It must be 32700000 N/C. Any help with this problem is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to convert your cm to m :smile:

For (b) you need to sum up the electric fields of A and of C at point B since electric field is a vector quantity.

Last edited:
arkofnoah said:
You need to convert your cm to m :smile:

For (b) you need to sum up the electric fields of A and of C at point B since electric field is a vector quantity.

Thank you VERY much! I got the right answer for part (a) & (b). But there is one more question here...

Sphere B is still missing. Give the x-coordinate of the point on the x-axis where the field due to spheres A and C is zero.

How do I need to approach this problem? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
can you do an example on this question?

Sorry for the noobish question, but why is [tex]\vec{F_{A,B}}[/tex] taken to be negative, while [tex]\vec{F_{C,B}}[/tex] is positive?

EighthGrader said:
Sorry for the noobish question, but why is [tex]\vec{F_{A,B}}[/tex] taken to be negative, while [tex]\vec{F_{C,B}}[/tex] is positive?

Draw the force vector out and you'll realize they point in opposite directions. We arbitrarily designate the one pointing towards the right as positive and the one pointing towards the left as negative.
killeregg said:
can you do an example on this question?
Do an example for the whole question? No we only help with parts of the question not the entire question.

arkofnoah said:
Same line of reasoning as your part (b) really.

Draw a diagram like this:

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/907/screenshot20100808at213.png

Find the electric field of A at xcm away from A, then find the electric field of B at the same point. The sum of them is zero and just do some simple algebra and you're done :smile:

[tex]\frac{-6 \times 10^{-6}}{(46-x)^2} + \frac{6 \times 10^{-6}}{x^2} = 0[/tex]

I tried solving this

[tex](-6 \times 10^{-6}) x^2 = - (6 \times 10^{-6})((46)^2-92x+x^2)[/tex]

And I just grouped the tems and then solved them. I even used the equation solver on my calculator, but the answer doesn't come out! Is there something wrong with what I did in the first step?

Last edited by a moderator:
roam said:
[tex]\frac{-6 \times 10^{-6}}{(46-x)^2} + \frac{6 \times 10^{-6}}{x^2} = 0[/tex]

I tried solving this

[tex](-6 \times 10^{-6}) x^2 = - (6 \times 10^{-6})((46)^2-92x+x^2)[/tex]

And I just grouped the tems and then solved them. I even used the equation solver on my calculator, but the answer doesn't come out! Is there something wrong with what I did in the first step?

You should write this instead:

[tex]\frac{-6 \times 10^{-6}}{(x)^2} + \frac{7 \times 10^{-6}}{(13-x)^2} = 0[/tex]

Note that you should use the charges of A and C, instead of those of A and B (B is non-existent in this part of the question!). 13 is the distance between A and C.

After you find x, add x to 46 to get the x-coordinate.

Related to Electric Field & Force: 3 Spheres on x-Axis

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. It is represented by vectors and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is the electric field calculated?

The electric field is calculated by dividing the force experienced by a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge. It is also dependent on the distance between the charged particle and the source of the electric field.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and force?

The electric field and force are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the strength of the electric field increases, the force experienced by a charged particle also increases, and vice versa.

4. What is the significance of 3 spheres on the x-axis in relation to electric field and force?

The 3 spheres on the x-axis represent three charged particles that are in close proximity to each other. This scenario allows for the calculation of the electric field and force between the charged particles, as well as the interactions between them.

5. How is the direction of the electric field determined?

The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction in which a positively charged particle would be pushed or pulled if placed in the electric field. It is always directed away from a positively charged particle and towards a negatively charged particle.