Electric field from a cylindrical shell

In summary, the electric field at a point a distance d from the right side of the cylinder is E = \frac{kQdx}{h\sqrt{(x\stackrel{2}{}+R\stackrel{2}{})}\stackrel{3}{}}. To find the electric field due to a ring, one would use Qdx/h instead of dQ. The electric field due to a ring is kdQ/r^2 *cos(theta)=kdQ/r^2 * x/r.
phil ess

Homework Statement

Consider a uniformly charged thin-walled right circular cylindrical shell having total charge Q, radius R, and height h. Determine the electric field at a point a distance d from the right side of the cylinder as shown in the figure below.

db7f47d8d64456bd28cb0002bc64c9d3.jpg

Homework Equations

E = kQ/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I started by finding the electric field at a distance d from a ring of uniform charge:

E = [tex]\stackrel{kdQ}{\sqrt{(d\stackrel{2}{}+R\stackrel{2}{})\stackrel{3}{}}}[/tex]

Now I want to treat this shell as a collection of infinitely thin rings, so I need to sum the electric field due to the rings and integrate right? This is where I am having trouble:

E = [tex]\stackrel{k(d+dx)Q}{\sqrt{((d+dx)\stackrel{2}{}+R\stackrel{2}{})\stackrel{3}{}}}[/tex]?

Then integrate from 0 to h? What about the charge Q? Should it be Q/h?

I am confused as to how I set this integral up. Any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
phil ess said:
Ok so I started by finding the electric field at a distance d from a ring of uniform charge:

E = [tex]\stackrel{kdQ}{\sqrt{(d\stackrel{2}{}+R\stackrel{2}{})\stackrel{3}{}}}[/tex]

Almost. However, a simpler way to think about this problem is to use a single variable, x, to denote the distance to a specific ring making up the cylinder. Instead of dQ, you'd use Qdx/h; instead of d^2, you'd use x. Then you just have to integrate.

ideasrule said:
Almost. However, a simpler way to think about this problem is to use a single variable, x, to denote the distance to a specific ring making up the cylinder. Instead of dQ, you'd use Qdx/h; instead of d^2, you'd use x. Then you just have to integrate.

So then I would have something like

E = [tex]\frac{kQdx}{h\sqrt{(x\stackrel{2}{}+R\stackrel{2}{})}\stackrel{3}{}}[/tex]?

and integrate from x=d to x=d+h?

Oops, there's one more error I didn't catch. The electric field due to a ring is kdQ/r^2 *cos(theta)=kdQ/r^2 * x/r, where x is the distance to the ring's center. I think you left out the x.

oh, I had d as the distance to the ring's center, now I am confused? what is the d in your equation for a ring?

Sorry for being so confusing.

Originally you had this:

phil ess said:

You might want to check this equation. It should be kdQ/(d^2+R^2) * cos(theta), and cos(theta)=d/sqrt(d^2+R^2). You just missed the "d". Now, apply the changes I suggested: x=d, dQ=Qdx/h, etc.

But my textbook has a different formula than that, one without cos theta. here:

IMG_5547.jpg

So which one do I use?

In my work I replaced z with d to match the diagram, and that 1/4piepsilon = k

Oh I see, it should be d2 in the numerator?

ideasrule said:
Sorry for being so confusing.

Originally you had this:

You might want to check this equation. It should be kdQ/(d^2+R^2) * cos(theta), and cos(theta)=d/sqrt(d^2+R^2). You just missed the "d". Now, apply the changes I suggested: x=d, dQ=Qdx/h, etc.

So youre saying d=x, but then you say that d=dx/h. I think youre getting confused because of the dQ. I didnt write that to mean Delta Q or differential of Q or anything like that. the "d" in "dQ" is the same as the one in the denominator.

EDIT: Ok so this is what I have afer your changes:

[tex]\int\stackrel{d+h}{d}\frac{kxQ}{h(x\frac{2}{}+R\frac{2}{})\frac{3/2}{}}dx[/tex]

It came out sloppy, should be integral from d to d+h

Please tell me if this is right!

Last edited:

Related to Electric field from a cylindrical shell

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region around a charged particle or object where an electric force is exerted on other charged particles or objects.

2. How is the electric field from a cylindrical shell calculated?

The electric field from a cylindrical shell can be calculated using the formula E = Q/2πεr, where Q is the charge of the shell, r is the distance from the axis of the cylinder, and ε is the permittivity of the surrounding medium.

3. What is the direction of the electric field from a cylindrical shell?

The electric field from a cylindrical shell is directed radially outward or inward, depending on the sign of the charge on the shell.

4. How does the electric field from a cylindrical shell vary with distance?

The electric field from a cylindrical shell varies inversely with the distance from the axis of the cylinder. As the distance increases, the strength of the electric field decreases.

5. Can the electric field from a cylindrical shell be affected by the material of the cylinder?

Yes, the electric field from a cylindrical shell can be affected by the material of the cylinder. The permittivity of the surrounding medium, represented by ε in the formula, can change the strength of the electric field.