Electric Field Generated by Transmission lines

In summary, the conversation revolves around creating a software to calculate the electric field near transmission lines. The person is seeking help as their software returned unexpected results. They discuss the principles of symmetry and the presence of multiple lines and their images causing confusion. The person also mentions considering the lines as individual sources and summing the fields. The conversation ends with the person stating they have sorted out their program.
I_am_learning
I am trying to make a software to calculate electric field near transmission lines. When I checked it I got one awkward looking result.

At any point near the Transmission line, I guess the time average (or net) Electric Field should be 0. Why should it have any preference on a value and hence on a direction because the Voltages are constantly changing from +ve and -ve. I guess we can tell this from basic principle of symmetry.
But presence of 3 lines and their images (below the ground), makes all these confusion to me.
Since my software returned result counter to my intuition, I am seeking some help here.
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am sort of bumping this thread. Does anybody, at least knows some place for studying about electric fields generated by transmission lines?

Can you describe it in more detail? What kind of transmission line you are using? Show me some formulas that you use for the program. I really don't quite follow what you said.

But presence of 3 lines and their images (below the ground),

3 phase power lines?

Probably tis is oversimplification.
But for starters,
Try considering them as individual line sources and sum the fields

Since the three voltages add to zero, there'll only be a significant field when you're close enough to them that individual distances to the three differ significantly.

One wire has voltage Vsin(wt)
next has Vsin(wt+120°)
last has Vsin(wt-120°)

so, there'll be a field from each line inversely proportional to distance from that line.
The more nearly equal the three distances, the more nearly the three fields add to zero.

Is this what your software showed?

I got the program sorted out.
Thanks anyways for help.

What is an electric field generated by transmission lines?

An electric field generated by transmission lines is a type of electromagnetic field that surrounds and extends outwards from transmission lines, which are used to transmit electricity over long distances. It is created by the movement of electric charges along the transmission lines and can affect nearby objects and living beings.

How is the strength of the electric field determined?

The strength of an electric field generated by transmission lines is determined by several factors, including the voltage and current of the transmission line, the distance from the line, and the type of material surrounding the line. It is typically measured in volts per meter (V/m).

What are the potential health effects of exposure to electric fields from transmission lines?

Exposure to electric fields from transmission lines has been a topic of concern for many years. Some studies have suggested a possible link between exposure to electric fields and certain health effects, such as childhood leukemia and brain tumors. However, the overall scientific consensus is that the current evidence does not support a direct causal relationship between exposure to electric fields from transmission lines and adverse health effects. Further research is still being conducted to fully understand any potential health risks.

Can electric fields from transmission lines be shielded or reduced?

Yes, electric fields from transmission lines can be reduced or shielded through various means. For example, increasing the distance between a transmission line and an object can significantly decrease the strength of the electric field. Additionally, certain materials, such as grounded metal screens or walls, can be used to shield against electric fields. However, it is important to note that complete elimination of electric fields from transmission lines is not possible.

Are there regulations in place for electric fields generated by transmission lines?

Yes, there are regulations in place for electric fields generated by transmission lines in many countries. These regulations typically set limits on the strength of the electric field that can be emitted by transmission lines and require regular monitoring to ensure compliance. These regulations are based on current scientific research and aim to protect public health and safety.