Electric field in the Spherical Cavity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of superposition in solving problems involving electric fields and charges. It explains that the solution to a problem can be obtained by considering the electric fields of individual components and adding them together. This can be extended to a continuous distribution, such as a sphere of charge. The conversation also mentions that a cavity can be viewed as a negatively charged sphere superimposed on the larger positively charged one. The diagrams and equations provided in the conversation illustrate this concept.
Physicslearner500039
Homework Statement
A nonconducting solid sphere has a uniform volume charge density p. Let r be the vector from the center of the sphere to a general point P within the sphere. (a) Show that the electric field at P is given by If = p7I3so. Fig. 23-56 (Note that the result is independent of the Problem 73. radius of the sphere.) (b) A spherical cavity is hollowed out of the sphere, as shown in Fig. 23-56. Using superposition concepts, show that the electric field at all points within the cavity is uniform and
equal to If = pa/3so, where a is the position vector from the center of the sphere to the center of the cavity
Relevant Equations
NA
P78.PNG

a. For the question a the solution is
If the uniform charge density is ρ then the charge of the sphere up to radius r is
q = ρ * (4/3)*π * r3;
Hence the electric field is
E = (ρ *4π*r^3)/(3*εο*r^2); E = (ρ*r)/(3εο);
b. I don't understand what is superposition? How to proceed? Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
By superposition, what is meant here is that the cavity given to you can be considered as a sphere of charge density negative of that of the larger sphere. So basically you have to consider a negatively charged sphere superposing with the larger positively charged one only in the region where you are given the cavity. When you solve by adding the electric fields of both the spheres inside the cavity, you will get your required result.

Likes SammyS
I did not understand completely. When you made a cavity you basically removed the charge from that portion.

...Or you could think about it as adding a sphere of opposite charge density to that region. Because of superposition (linearity) the solution to the problem is the appropriate sum of the easier individual solutions.

Likes etotheipi
Here's what they are trying to tell you:
$$\mathrm E_{total}=\mathrm E_{sphere}-\mathrm E_{cavity}=\mathrm E_{sphere}+\left(-\rho\times\text{the rest of the terms in }\mathrm E_{cavity}\right)$$
You interpret the field of the cavity as shown in the last addition as a sphere having the same but opposite charge density.
The superposition theorem is that if you have two "things" from which results two electric fields, then the electric field at each point is the sum of the two electric fields. You can extend this to ##n## discrete things, or a continuous distribution as is your sphere :)

Likes etotheipi
hutchphd said:
...Or you could think about it as adding a sphere of opposite charge density to that region. Because of superposition (linearity) the solution to the problem is the appropriate sum of the easier individual solutions.

I might add just for clarity that the final field strength is that due to the initial full sphere of charge added to that due to a negated sphere of charge at the location of the cavity, and not the field strength obtained if we filled the cavity with material of negated charge density - as in, it's an algebraic trick.

This is what yourself and @acchyut_jolly were saying, but just want to spell it out just in case it helps anyone :wink:.

Likes hutchphd and archaic
Ok, so this is my understanding, please correct me if i am wrong, how the charges are replaced will be something like this.

P73_p1.PNG

The calculations are something like this.
P73_p2.PNG

Are the above understanding and calculations correct? Please advise.

The diagrams are difficult for me to understand in detail. The equations are correct (so long as we agree that a,r,and E are vectors) and so I think you get the idea. A surprising result (to me at least) but looks correct. The superposition idea (and the similar method of images) are very very useful, so understand them well.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is an electric field in a spherical cavity?

An electric field in a spherical cavity refers to the distribution of electric charges within a spherical cavity or void. This can be caused by the presence of a charged object or by the arrangement of charges within the cavity itself.

2. How is the electric field in a spherical cavity calculated?

The electric field in a spherical cavity can be calculated using the Gauss's law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of the medium. This can also be calculated using the Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field at a point is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

3. What is the difference between the electric field inside and outside a spherical cavity?

The electric field inside a spherical cavity is dependent on the distribution of charges within the cavity, while the electric field outside the cavity is dependent on the charges outside the cavity. Additionally, the electric field inside a spherical cavity is not affected by the shape or size of the cavity, while the electric field outside the cavity is affected by the distance and orientation of the charges.

4. How does the electric field in a spherical cavity affect the behavior of charged particles?

The electric field in a spherical cavity can cause charged particles to experience a force and move in a certain direction. The magnitude and direction of this force depends on the strength and direction of the electric field. In some cases, the electric field can cause charged particles to accumulate or repel each other, leading to the formation of electric fields.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field in a spherical cavity?

The electric field in a spherical cavity has various applications in different fields, such as in electrostatics, electromagnetism, and electronics. Some examples include the use of spherical capacitors in electronic circuits, the study of the Earth's magnetic field and its effects on charged particles, and the use of charged particles in medical treatments like radiation therapy.