Electric field inside and around a hollow sphere

In summary, the divergent can be inverted by finding the equation of the tangent to the curve at A.]In summary, the divergent can be inverted by finding the equation of the tangent to the curve at A.
daanisdenaam
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anybody could help me out. For my study I got the following question but I got stuck in part C (see image below).
I Found at A that due to symmetry all components which are not in Ar direction will get canceled out
I found at B that there is only charge density at A<R<B and that it is equal to Pv in that point.

Then I got to part C:
We could fill in the Pv I found at part B, but that will still leave us with the fact that we have to invert the divergent. How could I do that? Does anyone have suggestions on this? That would really help me out!

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/2/AAA5802MNhxctUNcDK90azmM498HJ3gjxg7YrJCsRUX69w/12/68628516/jpeg/32x32/1/1444140000/0/2/Question.JPG/CKTg3CAgASACIAMgBiAHKAEoAigH/e1NKusj17g3cy1mlk21YV6Hw7Het1Ozyl9GsFbSYOcg?size_mode=5

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Daan, welcome to PF :smile: !

Nice exercise. Usually you get to work it out this one with Gauss in integrated form (which you can still do, of course).
What do you make from the given hint ? It is the divergence written out in spherical coordinates, a 2nd order differential equation in r.
To be solved for three regions, each with two conditions.

Likes daanisdenaam
BvU said:
Hello Daan, welcome to PF :smile: !

Nice exercise. Usually you get to work it out this one with Gauss in integrated form (which you can still do, of course).
What do you make from the given hint ? It is the divergence written out in spherical coordinates, a 2nd order differential equation in r.
To be solved for three regions, each with two conditions.

Thank you a lot for your answer! I Had a look at the given hint indeed, and when I looked again today it helped me out. I solved is as follows:
https://photos-4.dropbox.com/t/2/AADNoUHAGfzLPhMdD5iqnRxngz8zujp0NsI8nrRadbLCIA/12/68628516/jpeg/32x32/1/_/1/2/20151007_144945.jpg/EIrlrDUY89IBIAEoAQ/plpDHjcfvOORwGnKrg3tM1k8Rdy6xOOO5ERIbDhRr30?size=1280x960&size_mode=2

Related to Electric field inside and around a hollow sphere

1. What is the electric field inside a hollow sphere?

The electric field inside a hollow sphere is zero. This is because the electric charges on the inner surface of the sphere create an equal and opposite electric field that cancels out the electric field created by the charges on the outer surface.

2. What is the electric field around a hollow sphere?

The electric field around a hollow sphere is the same as the electric field created by a point charge at the center of the sphere. This is known as the Gauss's law, which states that the electric field outside a hollow sphere is proportional to the amount of charge enclosed by the sphere and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center.

3. How does the electric field inside a hollow sphere change with distance from the center?

As mentioned earlier, the electric field inside a hollow sphere is zero. This means that the electric field does not change with distance from the center. This is because the electric field created by the charges on the inner and outer surfaces cancel out each other at all points inside the sphere.

4. Can the electric field inside a hollow sphere be non-zero?

No, the electric field inside a hollow sphere cannot be non-zero. This is because the electric field is a vector quantity and the directions of the electric fields created by the charges on the inner and outer surfaces are opposite to each other. As a result, the electric fields cancel out and the net electric field inside the sphere is zero.

5. How does the electric field inside a hollow sphere change when a charge is placed inside it?

The electric field inside a hollow sphere remains zero even when a charge is placed inside it. This is because the electric field created by the charge on the inner surface of the sphere will still be equal and opposite in direction to the electric field created by the charges on the outer surface, resulting in a net electric field of zero inside the sphere.