Electric field at the center of a sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the electric field equation and surface charge density to determine the electric field at the center of a sphere. The use of a spherical coordinate system is recommended for solving the problem, and the suggestion is made to use the symbol "R" for the radius of the sphere and "a" for the vector representing charge distribution. It is also noted that the sphere in question does not specify if it is hollow or non-conducting.
Physicslearner500039
Homework Statement
A sphere of radius r carries a surface charge of density σ = ar, where a is a constant vector, and r is the radius vector of a point of the sphere relative to its center. Find the electric field strength vector at the center of the sphere.
Relevant Equations
E = q/(4πεr^2)
My first impression was the electric field is 0 at the center of the sphere, but it turned out not the case.
My understanding when problems refer surface charge density, is that the charge exists only on the surface and it is hollow inside the sphere. Am i correct?
Using the electric field equation assuming width dr. The area of the strip is ##4\pi r.dr## is this correct?
1588940865464.png

## E = \int_0^r \sigma . 4\pi r dr/(4\pi \epsilon r^2) ##
replacing ##\sigma ##
##
E = \int_0^r a dr/\epsilon \\
E = ar/\epsilon
##
I am not very confident of the method. Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicslearner500039 said:
Relevant Equations: NA
This can't be true

I am not very confident of the method.
Neither am I. In fact , I don't even see a method in your approach. Can you explain what you think your integral represents ?

Using the electric field equation assuming width dr. The area of the strip is ##4\pi r\; dr## is this correct?
Whwat coordinate system are you using ?
Re area: Compare a strip of your description at the equator with one at a pole !

Almost forgot: free advice, golden tip: make a clear sketch of your own !

Relevant Equations:: E = q/(4πεr^2)
Good to see you added one relevant equation. Note that ##\vec E## is a vector, though !
and is this r the same r as the radius of the sphere ?
My understanding when problems refer surface charge density, is that the charge exists only on the surface and it is hollow inside the sphere. Am i correct?
Doesn't say the sphere is hollow, but you may assume ##\varepsilon=\varepsilon_0##, so it doesn't matter.

Also doesn't say the sphere is non-conducting, which I think is a painful omission.

Thank you for the reply.
BvU said:
Note that ##\vec E## is a vector, though !
Yes my mistake
BvU said:
and is this r the same r as the radius of the sphere ?
Yes
BvU said:
Whwat coordinate system are you using ?
Not sure about the question. It is the normal x,y coordinates.
I read the following from the text
1588950580842.png

The sphere in question almost matches with above conditions. I am not sure what i am missing.

That's for a conducting sphere or shell: the charge distributes evenly over the surface.

It is the normal x,y coordinates
no it is not: if you write $$E = \int_0^r \sigma . 4\pi r dr/(4\pi \epsilon r^2) $$ you integrate over r from 0 to r. That is not in Cartesian coordinates. (*)

Now you see what confusion you can create by using the symbol ##r## for a whole bunch of completely different beasts.​
Note that sigma is only nonzero at ##r##, not at ##r<r##.

Now you see (again :smile: ) what confusion you can create by using the symbol ##r## for a whole bunch of completely different beasts.

Proposal:
Since you master a bit of ##\TeX##, use ##R## as the radius of the sphere, so that one irritant source of misunderstanding/error is eliminated !

And write ##\sigma = \vec a \cdot\vec r##.

Where did you position your vector ##\vec a## ?

#4 post advice is relevant and indispensable for setting up a decent integral. I don't want to do the work for you, but for my own purposes I draw a sphere with radius R in a spherical (physics) coordinate system and align the z-axis (ok, ##\theta = 0## :smile: ) with the vector ##\vec A##. (upper case reminds me it's like R, a constant).

Next: I know that an area ##dS## of the shell has charge ##\sigma\, dS = \vec A \cdot \vec r \,dS## and subsequently I work out those factors in terms of ##|\vec A|, r\ (=R), \theta, \phi\ d\theta, d\phi##.

It also gives me an idea of the charge distribution over the sphere and its symmetry.

Which way is ##\vec E## at the origin pointing ? So for which component of ##\vec E## do I need an expression for ##dE## as a function of the above ?(*) Generally speaking a problem with a shell or a sphere benefits from working in spherical coordinates. The word says it already. In this exercise: definitely !

Last edited:
Likes Physicslearner500039

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field at the center of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the electric field at the center of a sphere is E = kQ/R^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and R is the radius of the sphere.

2. How does the electric field at the center of a sphere change with the change in radius?

The electric field at the center of a sphere is inversely proportional to the square of the radius. This means that as the radius increases, the electric field decreases, and vice versa.

3. Is the electric field at the center of a sphere affected by the charge distribution on the surface of the sphere?

No, the electric field at the center of a sphere is only affected by the total charge of the sphere, not the distribution of that charge on the surface.

4. How does the electric field at the center of a sphere compare to the electric field at a point on the surface of the sphere?

The electric field at the center of a sphere is stronger than the electric field at any point on the surface of the sphere. This is because the electric field at the center is influenced by the entire charge of the sphere, while the electric field at a point on the surface is only influenced by a portion of the charge.

5. Can the electric field at the center of a sphere be zero?

Yes, the electric field at the center of a sphere can be zero if the total charge of the sphere is zero. In this case, there is no electric field present at the center.