Electric Field Inside Concentric Spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a charged sphere and shell, and the question of whether the electric field points radially between them. The use of Gauss' law is recommended to easily and clearly solve the problem. There is some confusion about the diagram accompanying the problem, but ultimately the answer is determined to be A). The conversation also suggests considering both cases of the field within and outside the shell to verify the answer.
lorx99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-10-7_14-43-23.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble figuring out why the answer is A) the electric field points radially between A and B. I think it is because since the point between A and B is mostly negative, the electric field would point outwords more strongly than it would for the positive charges which point the otherway. Is that why the electric field would point outward between A and B?

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-7_14-43-23.png
    upload_2018-10-7_14-43-23.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 2,310
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is most readily computed using Gauss' law. That is by far the easiest and clearest way of showing the answer. Have you seen Gauss' law yet in your coursework? ## \\ ## Edit: I read this more carefully=after removing a couple of statements I made that are inapplicable= Gauss' law does give the answer. Without Gauss' law, it would be difficult to compute it.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
This problem is most readily computed using Gauss' law. That is by far the easiest and clearest way of showing the answer. Have you seen Gauss' law yet in your coursework? ## \\ ## Edit: I read this more carefully=after removing a couple of statements I made that are inapplicable= Gauss' law does give the answer. Without Gauss' law, it would be difficult to compute it.

Yes, i learned about Gauss's law. Then i would have to find the charge based on the charge density? Wouldn't there be two regions of differing charge density?

edit : E = (p*V1 + p*V2)/ ((4pi*r^2)*episilon*)

Something is bothering me regarding the figure accompanying the problem statement.
upload_2018-10-7_15-53-54.png

The text states that there is a charged sphere surrounded by a charged shell, and refers to the region between them. To me is seems that the pinkish-red object at the center would be the inner sphere and the tan region the surrounding shell. The region between would be the darker grey-ish part. But the radius indicators suggest that the inner sphere reaches the inner surface of the shell. Are the radius vectors and charge labels part of the original figure?

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-7_15-53-54.png
    upload_2018-10-7_15-53-54.png
    17.4 KB · Views: 674
Likes Charles Link
gneill said:
But the radius indicators suggest that the inner sphere reaches the inner surface of the shell. Are the radius vectors and charge labels part of the original figure?

I guess that is why I am confused. The pic was part of a lecture slides since it was a iclicker question. There is no original figure unfortunately. I do know that the answer is A)

Edit: I get it now. I don't think the picture is really helpful. Redrawing the diagram based on the description, it makes more sense that the efield points outward.

If you draw a spherical Gaussian shell of radius ## a<r<b ##, there will be radii where the negative charge enclosed is minimal, e.g. radii ## r \approx a ##, but also radii where the negative charge enclosed exceeds the positive charge ## +Q ## at the center, e.g. for ## r \approx b ##. That should help determine the answer. If you know how to work Gauss' law proficiently, the answer should be obvious. ## \\ ## One question I also have, as did @gneill above: They misstated the problem: Are they interested in the region between the sphere and the outer shell, or in the outer shell region of ## a<r<b ##? The answer is different for these two regions.

Last edited:
Another approach to the problem is to consider that inside a spherical shell of charge the field due to that shell
Charles Link said:
One question I also have, as did @gneill above: They misstated the problem: Are they interested in the region between the sphere and the shell, or in the outer shell region of a<r<ba<r<b a
If the "known" answer is ##A##, then we can decide between those choices :wink:

gneill said:
Another approach to the problem is to consider that inside a spherical shell of charge the field due to that shell

If the "known" answer is ##A##, then we can decide between those choices :wink:
It might be worthwhile for the OP to work the problem for both cases, and not worry that the statement of the problem is unclear on which region they want to be considered.

Likes gneill

1. What is an electric field inside concentric spheres?

An electric field inside concentric spheres refers to the distribution of electric charge and energy between two or more spherical objects with a common center. The electric field is a vector quantity that represents the force exerted by a charged particle on another charged particle within the spheres.

2. How is the electric field inside concentric spheres calculated?

The electric field inside concentric spheres can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r², where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

3. What factors affect the electric field inside concentric spheres?

The electric field inside concentric spheres is affected by the charge of the spheres, the distance between the spheres, and the dielectric constant of the material between the spheres. The shape and size of the spheres can also have an impact on the electric field.

4. What is the relationship between the electric field and the potential inside concentric spheres?

The electric field and the potential inside concentric spheres are directly proportional. This means that as the electric field increases, the potential also increases. The potential can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

5. How does the electric field change as you move from the center to the outer surface of a sphere?

The electric field inside a sphere is constant and is the same at all points within the sphere. However, as you move from the center to the outer surface of the sphere, the electric field decreases. This is because the surface area of the sphere increases as you move further from the center, causing the electric field to spread out and decrease in intensity.