Electric field inside non conducting sphere

In summary, There was an error in the book where the answer for part b should have been Cm-3 but was incorrectly written as Cm3. The mistake was likely due to missing or incorrect units. The issue was confirmed by a direct approach and has been corrected.
Fluxthroughme
n4gn0y.jpg

My book tells me the answer to part b is [itex]1.96*10^5[/itex], but I fail to see where I have gone wrong with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many units missing, or wrong units. I would guess one cm<->m-conversion went wrong, but it is hard to tell if you do not add units.

mfb said:
There are many units missing, or wrong units. I would guess one cm<->m-conversion went wrong, but it is hard to tell if you do not add units.

Fair comment about the units. I don't bother to add them in when I'm doing questions like this until I get something wrong, or if I'm presenting it in, say, an exam. However this clearly wasn't an issue of unit conversion, because there are none. All the given figures are in metres, they stay in metres, and the answer at the end has units of N/m.

Oh, I read Cm3 as cm3. Anyway, it should be Cm-3.

I can confirm (b) with a direct approach, it is an error in the book.

mfb said:
Oh, I read Cm3 as cm3. Anyway, it should be Cm-3.

I can confirm (b) with a direct approach, it is an error in the book.

I'm terrible with missing minus signs: sorry about that. Thank you for confirming it.

Related to Electric field inside non conducting sphere

1. What is an electric field inside a non-conducting sphere?

The electric field inside a non-conducting sphere is the measure of the force exerted on a positive test charge placed inside the sphere. This field is created by the distribution of charges on the surface of the sphere.

2. How is the electric field inside a non-conducting sphere calculated?

The electric field inside a non-conducting sphere can be calculated using the equation E = Q/(4πεr^3), where Q is the charge on the sphere, ε is the permittivity of the surrounding medium, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

3. Is the electric field constant inside a non-conducting sphere?

No, the electric field inside a non-conducting sphere is not constant. It varies with distance from the center of the sphere, and it also depends on the charge distribution on the surface of the sphere.

4. How does the electric field inside a non-conducting sphere differ from that of a conducting sphere?

In a conducting sphere, the electric field inside is zero due to the redistribution of charges on the surface. However, in a non-conducting sphere, the electric field inside is non-zero due to the lack of charge redistribution.

5. How does the electric field inside a non-conducting sphere affect the motion of charged particles?

The electric field inside a non-conducting sphere can accelerate or decelerate charged particles depending on their direction of motion and the direction of the electric field. The motion of charged particles can also be affected by the strength of the electric field inside the sphere.