Electric field intensity around a wire

In summary: Hz. We can use the same equations as before, but with different values for the current and time. The total charge carried by the current would be q = It = 10KA * 10ms = 100C. This charge will be distributed uniformly on the surface of the wire, so the charge per unit length would be λ = q/h = 100C/2m = 50C/m. Plugging in the values, we get E = 50C/m/(2Π*8.85*10^-12 F/m) = 0.00179 V/m. This is the electric field intensity at a distance of 5cm from the wire.In summary, to calculate the surface charge density
michael pranit

Homework Statement

I am trying to calculate the surface charge density and electric field intensity around a copper wire. This is not a part of my assignment but out of curiosity. First, A current carrying wire of radius 2m, radius 0.5cm is at a height of 5cm above a ground plane, the ground plane is at a potential of 24V, the wire is at a potential of say 12V. How do I calculate the e.field intensity and surface charge density around the wire?

if a large current (like lightning) of 10KA having charge of 26C, and frequency 100Hz flows through the wire. what would be the charge on the wire and How would it effect the potential since (V=I*R)?

Homework Equations

The charge density ρ=(q/A)
Efield intensity E=λ/(2∏ε0*R)
where R is the radius of the gaussian surface, λ is the charge per unit length

The Attempt at a Solution

Attributing the wire to be a cylinder; the surface area would be A=2∏rh+2∏(r^2) = 0.0629 m2.
here h = length of the wire.
To get the value of q for surface charge density.(I know I'm wrong)
q = I*t
t= 1/f = 1/100 = 10ms; I = 10KA
q = 100C
charge density ρ= 1.5K C/m2 ??

to solve E.field intensity, I considered a gaussian surface with the distance between the wire and ground plane as the radius R and the length of the gaussian surface equal to the length of the cylinder
if the lightning carriers charges of 26C then λ= 26/2 = 13 (assuming uniform distribution of charge on surface)
E = 13/(2∏*ε0*2)
E = 0.1*10^-12 V/m??

I'm Extremely confused. Any help will be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Calculating the surface charge density and electric field intensity around a copper wire is a very interesting problem. Let's break it down step by step.

First, to calculate the surface charge density, we use the equation ρ = q/A, where q is the total charge and A is the surface area. In this case, the wire is at a potential of 12V and the ground plane is at a potential of 24V. The potential difference between them is 12V. We can use the equation V = IR to find the current I, which is equal to 12V/2Π = 6V/Π. Now, we know the current and the time (t = 10ms) so we can find the total charge by multiplying them: q = It = 6V/Π * 10ms = 60μC.

Next, we need to find the surface area of the wire. You have correctly calculated the surface area as A = 2Πrh + 2Πr^2. Plugging in the values, we get A = 2Π*2m*5cm + 2Π*(0.5cm)^2 = 0.0629m^2.

Now, we can calculate the surface charge density as ρ = q/A = 60μC/0.0629m^2 = 952.5μC/m^2. This is the charge per unit area on the surface of the wire.

Moving on to the electric field intensity, we can use the equation E = λ/(2Πε0r), where λ is the charge per unit length and r is the distance from the wire. In this case, we can take the distance from the wire to the ground plane as the radius r. We already know the charge per unit length (λ = q/h = 60μC/2m = 30μC/m) and the value of ε0 (8.85*10^-12 F/m). Plugging in the values, we get E = 30μC/m/(2Π*8.85*10^-12 F/m) = 0.00107 V/m. This is the electric field intensity at a distance of 5cm from the wire.

Now, let's consider the scenario where a large current of 10KA flows through the wire with a frequency of

Related to Electric field intensity around a wire

What is electric field intensity?

Electric field intensity is a measure of the strength of an electric field at a given point in space. It is also known as electric field strength or electric field magnitude.

How is electric field intensity around a wire calculated?

Electric field intensity around a wire can be calculated using the equation E = kq/r, where E is the electric field intensity, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge on the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

What factors affect the electric field intensity around a wire?

The electric field intensity around a wire is affected by the charge on the wire, the distance from the wire, and the material properties of the wire. Additionally, the presence of other charges or conductors in the vicinity can also affect the electric field intensity.

How does the electric field intensity change as distance from the wire increases?

The electric field intensity decreases as the distance from the wire increases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning that the intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

What are some real-world applications of understanding electric field intensity around a wire?

Understanding the electric field intensity around a wire is important in various applications, such as designing electrical circuits, analyzing the behavior of lightning, and studying the effects of electromagnetic radiation on living organisms.