Electric field near conducting shell

lys04
Homework Statement
Electric field near conducting shell
Relevant Equations
E=kQ/r^2
How would I do this question? I am having trouble figuring out what the radius is meant to be, why is it not 3R?
1691475588892.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The charge is inside a conducting shell. What is the relevance of that?

PeroK said:
The charge is inside a conducting shell. What is the relevance of that?
Induces a charge in the inner surface of the shell?

lys04 said:
Induces a charge in the inner surface of the shell?
Have you studied that? Or, learned any techniques to find the electric field outside an asymmetric charge configuration?

PeroK said:
Have you studied that? Or, learned any techniques to find the electric field outside an asymmetric charge configuration?
I've learnt Gauss's law, if that's applicable.

lys04 said:
Gauss's law is useful. What can you say about the potential on the surface of a conductor?

Likes MatinSAR
lys04 said:
In a way: you will have to argue why the required symmetry (*) is present.

spherical symmetry of the field outside the shell

##\ ##

Likes MatinSAR
PeroK said:
Gauss's law is useful. What can you say about the potential on the surface of a conductor?
It's uniform?

BvU said:
In a way: you will have to argue why the required symmetry (*) is present.

spherical symmetry of the field outside the shell

##\ ##
Yeah I'm not sure about that

lys04 said:
It's uniform?
Yes. The surface of the shell must be an equipotential. Now, the potential is fully determined by the boundary conditions (technically this is a uniqueness property of electrostatic solutions). You know that outside the shell a spherically symmetric potential is a solution, so it must be the only solution.

Now, you can apply Gauss's law.

Likes MatinSAR

1. What is an electric field near a conducting shell?

An electric field near a conducting shell refers to the distribution of electric charges around a conducting shell, which is a hollow metallic object. The electric field is created by the accumulation of charges on the surface of the conducting shell.

2. How is the electric field near a conducting shell calculated?

The electric field near a conducting shell can be calculated using the Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the relationship between the electric field and the charge distribution on a conducting shell?

The electric field near a conducting shell is directly proportional to the charge distribution on the surface of the shell. This means that as the charge on the shell increases, the electric field near the shell also increases.

4. How does the shape of a conducting shell affect the electric field near it?

The shape of a conducting shell does not affect the electric field near it. This is because the electric field is only dependent on the charge distribution on the surface of the shell, and not on the shape of the shell itself.

5. What are some real-life applications of the electric field near a conducting shell?

The electric field near a conducting shell has many practical applications. It is used in electrostatic shielding to protect sensitive electronic equipment from external electric fields. It is also used in electrostatic painting, where the electric field is used to attract paint particles to a conducting object. Additionally, the electric field near a conducting shell is important in the design of capacitors, which are used in many electronic devices.