Electric field of a moving charge?

In summary, the electric field of a moving charge is a force field that surrounds a charged particle and affects other charged particles in its vicinity. The strength and direction of the electric field is determined by the magnitude and velocity of the moving charge. As the charge moves, the electric field lines also move, creating a ripple effect that can be observed and measured. This phenomenon is essential in understanding the behavior of particles in electric fields and plays a crucial role in many technological applications, such as in the design of electric motors and generators.
physics user1
I have a moving charge in a generic motion, and I pick a point p, how do I get the electric field caused by the charge on point p, at any time?
Can I use the coulomb definition of electric field that relates it's strenght with the Distance?
Or does that law works only when the charge is static?
How can I Do?
Btw this is not a homework question oregarding something, I'm just wondering cause I never encountered such a problem and they told me that coulomb law work for electrostatics

I know all maxwell equations

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I have to tell you that in order to calculate the fields (electric and magnetic) of a moving charge , the math are somewhat involved. You can derive the fields from the (retarded) potentials. For a such derivation you can take a look here. Also, for a derivation using first principles take a look here.

Likes physics user1
QuantumQuest said:
First, I have to tell you that in order to calculate the fields (electric and magnetic) of a moving charge , the math are somewhat involved. You can derive the fields from the (retarded) potentials. For a such derivation you can take a look here. Also, for a derivation using first principles take a look here.

What are the retarded Potential? Why can't I use the coulomb Law?
The magnetic field is not conservative, how can it have a Potential?

Cozma Alex said:
What are the retarded Potential?

Retarded potentials are the electromagnetic potentials generated by time-varying electric current or charge distributions in the past. For more see Wikipedia.

Cozma Alex said:
Why can't I use the coulomb Law?

Coulomb's Law can be applied for static charge(s) or in integral form for charge distributions. Now, if we have a moving charge we have a magnetic force as well. So, we can't consider only the electrostatic force in this case.

Cozma Alex said:
The magnetic field is not conservative, how can it have a Potential?

The magnetic field itself is neither conservative nor non-conservative. In order to characterize a field in general as conservative or not, you have to take the force applied on a particle moving along any closed path and calculate the net work done. But in this case, the magnetic field (effectively force) on a moving particle is at right angles to the motion so the work is always zero. So, there is no proper application of the concept.

Last edited:
Likes physics user1

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle and exerts a force on other charged particles within its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field of a moving charge different from that of a stationary charge?

The electric field of a moving charge is different because it not only has an electric field due to its own charge, but it also creates a magnetic field due to its motion. This interaction between the electric and magnetic fields is known as electromagnetic radiation.

3. How can the electric field of a moving charge be calculated?

The electric field of a moving charge can be calculated using the formula E = qv / (4πε0r2), where q is the charge of the moving particle, v is its velocity, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the particle to the point where the electric field is being measured.

4. What is the direction of the electric field of a moving charge?

The direction of the electric field of a moving charge is perpendicular to both the direction of the particle's velocity and the radial direction from the particle. This means that the electric field points tangentially to the imaginary circle centered on the particle's path.

5. How does the electric field of a moving charge affect other charged particles?

The electric field of a moving charge exerts a force on other charged particles within its vicinity. If the other charged particles are also moving, they will experience both an electric and a magnetic force due to the interaction between the electric and magnetic fields. This can result in changes in their motion and acceleration.