Electric field of a non-conducting sphere

In summary: Remember that the enclosed charge depends on the enclosed volume, not just the radius. Also, be careful with your units. The final answer should have units of electric field, not charge. In summary, using Gauss's Law and the concept of charge density, the magnitude of the electric field at a radial distance of 2R from a solid non-conducting sphere with a uniform charge density is given by E = (ρ3ϖR3)/(8ϖR2 ε0), where ρ is the charge density and R is the radius of the sphere. It is important to consider the enclosed charge and volume at the specific distance in order to accurately calculate the electric field.
TishBass

Homework Statement

A solid non-conducting sphere of radius R carries a uniform charge density. At a radial distance r1= R/4 the electric field has a magnitude Eo. What is the magnitude of the electric field at a radial distance r2=2R?

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law: ∫EdA=Qencl / ε0
Charge density = Q/V
Volume of a sphere = 4/3ϖR3

The Attempt at a Solution

For R/4: ∫EdA=Qencl / ε0 = 1/(4ϖε0)(Q/R3) (R/4) = E0
for 2R: ∫EdA=Qencl / ε0 = 1/(4ϖε0)(Q/ [2R]2)

So for R/4, it simplifies to 1/(4ϖε0)(Q/4R2). I know the answer is E0 so i guess 2R simplifies to 1/(4ϖε0)(Q/ 4R2) and everything cancels to leave E0.

However, I feel like I'm lost in the math at this point. If I'm right, could someone explain the math and if I'm wrong could someone just point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the wrong answer. Here's a hint to point you in the right direction: The charge density is the same at every point. However, the enclosed charge is not the same over every enclosed surface, so you may want to write your charge in terms of this invariant charge density, you can call it ##\rho##. For the case you know, try solving for rho. Then, solve for the case where you don't know E -- bearing in mind the definition of ##dA##, and ##Q_{encl}##.

So, solving for Q in terms of ρ for the first case, I get Q = ρ3ϖR3
I plug this into the case I don't know, 2R, and I end up with E = (ρ3ϖR3)/(8ϖR2 ε0)
I know I'm making an easy mistake but I can't pin down what it is.

How much charge is enclosed at 2R vs 1R?

What is the electric field of a non-conducting sphere?

The electric field of a non-conducting sphere is the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed at any point in the space surrounding the sphere.

How is the electric field of a non-conducting sphere calculated?

The electric field of a non-conducting sphere can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point where the electric field is being measured.

What factors affect the electric field of a non-conducting sphere?

The electric field of a non-conducting sphere is affected by the charge of the sphere, the distance from the center of the sphere, and the medium surrounding the sphere.

How does the electric field of a non-conducting sphere compare to that of a conducting sphere?

The electric field of a non-conducting sphere is only dependent on the charge and distance from the center, while the electric field of a conducting sphere is also affected by the distribution of charge on its surface.

Why is the electric field inside a non-conducting sphere zero?

The electric field inside a non-conducting sphere is zero because the electric charges within the sphere are free to move and redistribute themselves in order to cancel out any external electric fields.