Electric field of a ring:integrate over dq or ds?

In summary, the integral of dq is not the same as the integral of λds because the integral for the electric field also contains a directional element.
Tiago3434
Hi people, I was reading on my textbook on electromagnetism (Halliday) about using integral to field the electric field of a charged ring (1D) at a point P located on an axis perpendicular to the ring's plane. The ring is uniformly charged. The book (and my professor) both breakdown each element of charge dq into its linear charge density times an element of length, or λds. I'm ok with the math from that point on, but I noticed that you can get the same result just integrating over dq, given that the integral of dq is q. Is my idea wrong, or is there a reason for adding that extra step?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose the charge density were not uniform. Integrating over s, you would let λ be some function of s, λ(s). Then your integral would contain λ(s)ds. How would you integrate directly over dq in that case?

oh, ok I got you point. Thanks, jtbell

Sorry if the question is stupid, but thinking a bit further about this, wouldn't the overall charge just add up to q again (even if all the dq weren't equal)?

Or (sorry if this is a calculus question) can you only integrate over a differential dx if dx is constant? Is that the case?

Tiago3434 said:
Sorry if the question is stupid, but thinking a bit further about this, wouldn't the overall charge just add up to q again (even if all the dq weren't equal)?

The integral of λ(s)ds would be q, the total charge. But you are trying to calculate the electric field, E, at a point, P, on the axis, not the total charge. λ(s) can't be taken out of the integral over s in that case.

I'm sorry but I don't get it. Wouldn't the answer just end up being the same, as dq=λ(s)ds?

Like, if dq=λds, I don't understand how come the integrals ∫dq and ∫λds could end up being different.

Tiago3434 said:
Like, if dq=λds, I don't understand how come the integrals ∫dq and ∫λds could end up being different.
Those integrals are not different but those are not the integrals for the electric field. The integral for the electric field also contains a directional element ##\hat{r}## which may weight the electric field more in one direction than the other.

In general
$$\mathbf{E}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int\frac{dq}{r^{2}}\hat{r}$$

As an example, let's assume you are looking for ##\mathbf{E}## at the center of the ring, then ##\hat{r}=-\text{cos}\theta\hat{x}-\text{sin}\theta\hat{y}##. If the ring has a radius of ##R## then
$$\mathbf{E}=\frac{-1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int\frac{dq}{R^{2}}(\text{cos}\theta\hat{x}+\text{sin}\theta\hat{y})$$
Now let's assume the ring has some varying linear charge density ##\lambda=\alpha\text{cos}\theta## then
$$dq=\lambda Rd\theta=\alpha\text{cos}\theta\;Rd\theta$$
The electric field is now
$$\mathbf{E}=\frac{-1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{\alpha\text{cos}\theta\;Rd\theta}{R^{2}}(\text{cos}\theta\hat{x}+\text{sin}\theta\hat{y})$$
$$\mathbf{E}=\frac{-\alpha}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}R}\left[\int_{0}^{2\pi}\text{cos}^{2}\theta\;d\theta\hat{x}+\int_{0}^{2\pi}\text{cos}\theta\text{sin}\theta\;d\theta\hat{y})\right]$$
$$\mathbf{E}=\frac{-\alpha}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}R}\left[\pi \hat{x}+0\hat{y})\right]=\frac{-\alpha}{4\epsilon_{0}R}\hat{x}$$
Now if we consider the case of constant charge density ##\lambda##
$$\mathbf{E}=\frac{-1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{\lambda Rd\theta}{R^{2}}(\text{cos}\theta\hat{x}+\text{sin}\theta\hat{y})$$
$$\mathbf{E}=\frac{-\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}R}\left[\int_{0}^{2\pi}\text{cos}\theta\;d\theta\hat{x}+\int_{0}^{2\pi}\text{sin}\theta\;d\theta\hat{y})\right]$$
$$\mathbf{E}=\frac{-\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}R}\left[0 \hat{x}+0\hat{y})\right]=0$$
These two answers are different because including the direction ##\hat{r}## selects which parts of the charge density will add together in some direction and which will cancel out in another direction.

1. What is the formula for the electric field of a ring?

The formula for the electric field of a ring is E = (kQz)/((z^2 + R^2)^(3/2)), where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the ring, z is the distance from the center of the ring, and R is the radius of the ring.

2. Do I need to integrate over dq or ds to calculate the electric field of a ring?

To calculate the electric field of a ring, you need to integrate over dq. This is because the electric field is a vector quantity, and dq represents a small element of charge that contributes to the total electric field.

3. Why do we need to integrate over dq instead of ds?

We integrate over dq because the electric field is dependent on the charge, and not the distance. In other words, the contribution of each element of charge to the electric field is not the same, so we need to integrate over dq to take this into account.

4. What does the integration process involve when calculating the electric field of a ring?

The integration process for calculating the electric field of a ring involves breaking the ring into infinitesimally small elements of charge, dq, and then summing up the contributions of each dq to find the total electric field at a given point.

5. Is there a simplified formula for the electric field of a ring?

Yes, there is a simplified formula for the electric field of a ring when the distance from the center of the ring (z) is much larger than the radius of the ring (R). In this case, the formula becomes E = (kQ)/(z^2).