Electric Field Strength Inside a Cylindrical Non-conductor

In summary, the conversation is about a question in physics where the person is trying to determine the depth at which the electric field strength equals half the surface value in a uniformly charged cylindrical shell. They initially attempted to solve it using the shell theorems and the equation for electric field, but later realized that they should have treated the charge as a line at the center instead of a point. They then used Gauss' law to solve the problem.
clementc

Homework Statement

Hey everyone,
I'm just studying some physics, and came across this question where I don't know why I'm wrong =(
It's from Physics (5th Ed.) by Halliday, Resnick and Krane - Chapter 27, Exercise 22
Positive charge is distributed uniformly throughout a long, nonconducting, cylindrical shell of inner radius [tex]R[/tex] and outer radius [tex]2R[/tex]. At what radial depth beneath the outer surface of the charge distribution is the electric field strength equal to one half the surface value?
Here's a diagram I drew of my interpretation. It's the side on view:

[PLAIN]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/613/cylinder.png

I did it using the shell theorems (HRK says they work for cylinders) and the equation for an electric field for a point charge.

Homework Equations

For this question, all I used was:
[tex]\rho = \frac{q}{V}[/tex]
[tex]E = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r^2}[/tex]
And also a bit of shell theory

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the charge in the entire cylindrical shell be [tex]q[/tex].
[tex]\rho=\frac{q}{V}=\frac{q}{lA}[/tex] where [tex]\rho[/tex] is the volume charge density.
At the outermost surface, using the shell theorems, I treated all the charge as being at the centre of the cylinder.
[tex]\therefore E=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{q}{(2R)^2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{\rho l\pi(4R^2-R^2)}{4R^2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{3\rho l}{16\epsilon_0}[/tex]

To get where the E field is half of this, I solve for half this strength at a distance [tex]x[/tex] from the centre:
[tex]E=\frac{3\rho l}{32\epsilon_0}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{\rho l\pi(x^2-R^2)}{x^2}[/tex]

[tex]\therefore \frac{3}{32}=\frac{x^2-R^2}{4x^2}[/tex]

[tex]12x^2=32(x^2-R^2)[/tex]

[tex]3x^2 = 8x^2 - 8R^2 [/tex]

[tex]5x^2 = 8R^2 [/tex]

[tex]\therefore x = R\sqrt{\frac{8}{5}} [/tex]

[tex]Depth = R(2-\sqrt{\frac{8}{5}}) = 0.735R [/tex]

But the answer was [tex]0.557R[/tex] beneath the surface, and they used Gauss' law. However, I still don't see where I went wrong. I think the shell theorems still hold instead a cylindrical shell, but I'm not sure.

Could anyone please help me? =(
Thank you very much guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
clementc said:
I did it using the shell theorems (HRK says they work for cylinders) and the equation for an electric field for a point charge.
What do you mean by 'shell theorems'? Note that this problem has cylindrical symmetry, not spherical symmetry.

Homework Equations

For this question, all I used was:
[tex]\rho = \frac{q}{V} \\
E = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r^2}[/tex]
And also a bit of shell theory
:confused:

Oh shell theorem
=D
what i meant was the one which like tells you that if you have a uniformly charged spherical/round surface
1. from outside, the electric field is the same as if all the charge were concentrated at a point in the centre
2. the electric field inside the shell is 0

so when I am like at point x, i can ignore all the charge outside and the electric field experienced is that which arises only from the charge inside that circle of radius x

clementc said:
1. from outside, the electric field is the same as if all the charge were concentrated at a point in the centre
OK, but for a cylinder that means you can treat the charge as if it were concentrated along a line at the center, not a point.

OH LOL OF COURSE! *bangs head on table*
im such a dummy =P
thank you so much doc Al thank you thank you thank you =D
in that case gauss' law is much nicer heh

Related to Electric Field Strength Inside a Cylindrical Non-conductor

What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength is a measure of the force experienced by an electric charge at a particular point in space. It is represented by the symbol E and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

How is electric field strength inside a cylindrical non-conductor calculated?

The electric field strength inside a cylindrical non-conductor can be calculated using the equation E = Q / (2πεr), where Q is the charge on the cylinder, ε is the permittivity of the material, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

What factors affect the electric field strength inside a cylindrical non-conductor?

The electric field strength inside a cylindrical non-conductor is affected by the charge on the cylinder, the permittivity of the material, and the distance from the center of the cylinder. It is also affected by the presence of other charges or conductors nearby.

What is the relationship between electric field strength and electric potential inside a cylindrical non-conductor?

The electric field strength and electric potential inside a cylindrical non-conductor are directly related. The electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge at a particular point, and the electric field strength is the force per unit charge at that point. Therefore, the electric field strength can be calculated by taking the derivative of the electric potential with respect to distance.

How does the electric field strength inside a cylindrical non-conductor change as you move away from the center?

The electric field strength inside a cylindrical non-conductor decreases as you move away from the center. This is because the electric field is strongest near the surface of the cylinder where the charge is concentrated, and decreases as you move further away from it.