Does an Electric Field Between Two Conductors Guarantee a Current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the presence of electric current in a system with two conductors at different voltages. It is determined that there will only be a current if the conductors are connected or if there is a voltage source present. Without a connection, there will be no current.
Seda

Homework Statement

More of a general question:
I have a situation where I have a conductor at eight volts and a conductor with zero volts. Just because there is an electric field, does that mean there is an electric current present in the system? And what is the direction?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

We just got introduced to this and I can't seem to find a reasoning. In my mind, I believe that there most likely must be a current, but I'm so green at this that I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you connect them there would be a current. If the condctors were connected to a voltage source, such as a battery, the current would continue to flow. If you connect them with a resistance Ohms law will tell you how big the current is.
If the conductors would be just 2 pieces of wire lying on a table there would only be current for a very short time if you connected them until their potentials became the same.

Okay, we have a set-up similar to this

http://www.sm.luth.se/~urban/master/Theory/image122.gif

only, instead of the negative charge, we have no voltage there. Is there for sure a current if this electric field exists?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since nothing connects the charges there will be no current

Related to Does an Electric Field Between Two Conductors Guarantee a Current?

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region where electrically charged particles experience forces. It is created by a distribution of electric charges, and the strength and direction of the field is determined by the magnitude and location of these charges.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in volts. Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the potential energy of a charge in an electric field due to its position and is measured in joules.

How does an electric current flow?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a material. It flows from areas of high potential to areas of low potential. In a circuit, this flow is facilitated by a closed loop of conductive material, such as a wire, and is powered by a source of energy, such as a battery.

What is resistance, and how does it affect electric currents?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for electric current to flow through a material. It is measured in ohms and is influenced by factors such as the material's composition, length, and cross-sectional area. Higher resistance means a lower flow of current, while lower resistance means a higher flow of current.

What is the difference between AC and DC currents?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) are two types of electric currents. AC current changes direction periodically, while DC current flows in only one direction. AC is the type of current used in most household electrical outlets, while DC is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.