Electric Fields Cancelling Out?

In summary, The conversation is discussing the concept of electric fields and how they cancel out in the y-direction. The explanation is given using the example of a uniform ring of charge and how the y-forces cancel out at different positions. The concept of electric field lines not crossing is also brought up and explained in terms of the net field being a sum of contributory fields.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

An example problem I am reading is about the electric field of a uniform ring of charge.

I attached the diagram provided in the problem.

What confuses me is that the electric field lines in the y-direction cancel out. Wouldn't the fields have to cross, if they were to cancel out? What does it even mean that they cancel out?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 540
Physics news on Phys.org
They do cross. It means for every +y force there is an equal and opposite -y force.

Pretend you have just a half ring. Then there will be a net y force at P. Then move the ring 180 degrees. Then the y force will be the same magnitude but in the opposite y direction. Hope that helps you see the situation.

Yes, that is helpful, it just seems to contradict what I have been told, that electric fields lines aren't suppose to cross. What exactly is meant by that statement, that electric field lines can't cross?

Last edited:
Another example:

If I have one point charge I get a field. If I have 2 point charges the field is the (vector) sum due to the two charges. The fields exist independent of each other, and they add. If I put a unit charge inbetween the first two the force on the unit charge is the (vector) sum of the fields due to the first two charges. So the fields set up by the first two charges have to coexist at the point of the unit charge, right?

Bashyboy said:
What exactly is meant by that statement, that electric field lines can't cross?
You are considering a field as the sum of contributory fields. The lines from some contributions may well cross with others, but no lines will cross in the net field.

Related to Electric Fields Cancelling Out?

1. What is meant by "electric fields cancelling out"?

Electric fields cancelling out refers to the phenomenon where two or more electric fields with equal magnitude and opposite directions are applied to an object, resulting in a net electric field of zero.

2. How do electric fields cancel out?

Electric fields cancel out through a process called vector addition, where the individual electric fields are added together to determine the resulting net electric field.

3. What are some real-life examples of electric fields cancelling out?

One example is in electronic devices, where the positive and negative charges in a battery create electric fields that cancel out to power the device. Another example is lightning rods, where the electric field of the rod cancels out the electric field of a thundercloud, preventing a lightning strike.

4. What is the importance of understanding electric fields cancelling out?

Understanding electric fields cancelling out is crucial in many areas of science and engineering, such as electronics, electromagnetism, and electric circuit analysis. It also helps us understand how electric fields interact and how to manipulate them for various applications.

5. Can electric fields ever completely cancel out?

Yes, electric fields can completely cancel out when two or more electric fields with equal magnitudes and opposite directions are applied to an object. This results in a net electric field of zero, meaning there is no force acting on the object due to electric fields.