Electric Fields/Electric Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of an electric field and seeking help with understanding electricity. One member provides a brief explanation of how to determine the direction of the electric field and suggests a study guide for a general overview of electricity.
wilbanksmush
I have a few questions about how to find the magnitude of an electric field.

1) I need help with plotting the electric field after I have calculated the magnitude of the electric field on a graph, depicting in which direction the electric field is.
2) I also need help with just electricity in general. I could really use a good study guide or outline/review on electricity. I have the the Giancoli AP Physics sixth edition book (if needed).

Thanks everyone,

Wilbanksmush

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF

1. The direction of the electric field is the direction of the force experienced by a small positive test charge. The direction should drop out of the magnitude calculation.

2. That is very general indeed.
quick overview:
http://topex.ucsd.edu/rs/em.pdf
... the description changes a lot with your level.
Giancoli is primarily for pre-med: you more bio-oriented?

usually the "electricity" topic covers electric circuits and currents, while the "electromagnetism" topic covers fields and charges. Some courses treat magnetism separately.

Related to Electric Fields/Electric Potential

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force exerted on a charged particle in an electric field. It is created by the presence of electric charges and is represented by a vector.

2. How is an electric field calculated?

The electric field at a point is calculated by dividing the force on a test charge by the magnitude of the charge. It can also be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a point in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in volts. It is also known as voltage.

4. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential is related to electric field by the equation V = Ed, where V is the electric potential, E is the electric field, and d is the distance between the two points. This means that the electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential.

5. What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

The main difference between electric field and electric potential is that electric field is a vector quantity, while electric potential is a scalar quantity. This means that electric field has both magnitude and direction, while electric potential only has magnitude. Additionally, electric field describes the force on a charged particle, while electric potential describes the energy of the charged particle.