Why is the electric field in y direction in a TE guided wave?

In summary, the question is why in a guided wave (TE), the electric field is in the y direction when ##E_z = 0##, and the answer is that the orientation of the cartesian coordinates is arbitrary and the wave guide is of rectangular shape with height a and width b, with the direction of propagation being ##\hat{z}##. Therefore, ##E_x = 0## because the E field is polarized along the y direction and does not need to be 0, and ##B_y = 0## since it is a TE mode.
happyparticle
TL;DR Summary
Direction of the electric field in a transverse electric guided wave.
Hi,
I have a fairly simple question, but the answer is probably not as simple.
I'm not sure to understand why in a guided wave (TE), the electric field is in the y direction.
I know ##E_z = 0##, but why ##E_x = 0, B_y = 0##?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to give details of the situation you are considering. The orientation of the cartesian coordinates is arbitrary.

I have wave guide of rectangular shape with height a and width b.

EpselonZero said:
I have wave guide of rectangular shape with height a and width b.
Along which axes?

Sorry,
##\hat{x}## is horizontal, ##\hat{y}## is vertical and the direction of propagation is ##\hat{z}##

EpselonZero said:
Sorry,
##\hat{x}## is horizontal, ##\hat{y}## is vertical and the direction of propagation is ##\hat{z}##
Then if ##E_x=0## is because the E field is polarized along y (i.e., it doesn't need to be 0). ##B_y = 0## since it is a TE mode.

1. Why is the electric field in the y direction in a TE guided wave?

The electric field in the y direction in a TE guided wave is due to the boundary conditions at the interface between two different media. In this case, the electric field is perpendicular to the direction of propagation, which is defined as the z direction. This is a result of the transverse nature of the wave, where the electric field is confined to the y-z plane.

2. What is the significance of the TE mode in guided waves?

The TE mode, or transverse electric mode, is an important type of guided wave that is commonly used in various applications, such as in optical fibers and waveguides. It is characterized by having a transverse electric field and a longitudinal magnetic field, and is able to propagate through structures with different dielectric constants.

3. How does the electric field in the y direction affect the propagation of a TE guided wave?

The electric field in the y direction plays a crucial role in the propagation of a TE guided wave. It determines the direction and magnitude of the electric field, which in turn affects the intensity and polarization of the wave. The electric field also interacts with the surrounding medium, leading to changes in the wave's propagation characteristics.

4. Can a TE guided wave have an electric field in the x or z direction?

No, a TE guided wave is defined by having an electric field that is perpendicular to the direction of propagation, which is the z direction. This means that the electric field cannot have a component in the x or z direction. If there is an electric field in the x or z direction, then the wave is not a TE mode and will have different propagation characteristics.

5. How does the electric field in the y direction change as the TE guided wave propagates?

The electric field in the y direction remains constant as the TE guided wave propagates through a uniform medium. However, it may undergo changes when the wave encounters boundaries or interfaces between different media. These changes can lead to reflection, refraction, and other phenomena that affect the propagation of the wave.