Electric flux textbook discrepancy ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electric flux and a discrepancy in understanding between the speaker and their textbook. The speaker questions whether the net electric flux includes charges that do not contribute to the electric field but are enclosed by a surface. However, the expert explains that the net flux is determined by the charge enclosed by the surface, and the sign of the charge determines the direction of the flux. The expert also mentions that this can be visualized through diagrams showing the number of field lines and their direction. Overall, the conversation clarifies the concept of electric flux and its relation to Gauss's law.
jaredvert
Electric flux textbook discrepancy ??

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1393031750.624667.jpg
my textbook says "q enclosed for the Guastian surface in a1 would be the positive charge enclosed by a1: the negative charge does contribute to the electric field at a1 but it is not enclosed by surface a1 and so is not included in q enclosed". ...…..;…. So I would be quicker to deduce that I made the error than my textbook but the I thought the net electric flux is defined by the flux entering or leaving that doesn't begin or end in the enclosed surface. Since the electric field stops in the surface doesn't that mean it now has that net flux ? Or does this just not contribute to gauss's law? If so please elucidate! I'm only in ap physics so don't go beyond mechanics and basic e and m since I just started! ThanksSent from my iPhone using Physics Forums

Physics news on Phys.org
woah - big photo!
It shows an electric dipole with well separated charges.
The flux through surface A1 is positive while the flux through A2 is negative.
Both sets of charge contribute to the electric field everywhere, but the net flux through a surface is determined by the charge enclosed by the surface. The sign of the charge determines the direction.

You can actually see this in your diagrams - the flux is just the number of field lines through a surface.
The number of field lines starting or ending on a charge is a fixed number - determined by the amount of charge.

So if you have two equal and opposite charges, then they both have the same number of field lines attached to them - bring them close and all the field lines starting on the positive charge can end up on the negative charge and the total number of lines on each charge stays the same.

If you draw a surface around a volume with zero charge in it, but there are charges outside it, you'll see that all the field lines that enter the surface also leave it - so the net flux through the surface is zero.

What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of how many electric field lines pass through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of Newton-meters squared per Coulomb (N·m2/C).

What causes discrepancies in electric flux textbooks?

Discrepancies in electric flux textbooks can be caused by differences in notation and conventions used, varying levels of mathematical rigor, and the complexity of the concepts being explained.

How can I determine which electric flux textbook is accurate?

The best way to determine accuracy in an electric flux textbook is to compare it with other reputable sources, such as peer-reviewed journals or textbooks from well-respected authors in the field.

Why is it important to understand electric flux?

Understanding electric flux is essential in understanding the behavior of electric fields and their effects on charged particles. It is also crucial in various applications, such as designing electronic circuits and studying the behavior of charged particles in different environments.

Can discrepancies in electric flux textbooks lead to incorrect calculations?

Yes, discrepancies in electric flux textbooks can lead to incorrect calculations if the reader is not aware of the differences and does not use the correct equations and conventions. It is important to carefully review and understand the principles behind each calculation to ensure accuracy.