No Electric Charges if No Electric Field in Region

In summary: I get what you're saying. The issue is whether surface ##S## that encloses ##V## in the case of a charged conductor is part of this region or...The surface encloses ##V## and therefore is part of the region.The surface encloses ##V## and therefore is part of the region.
putongren
Homework Statement
If the electric field in a region in space is 0, can you conclude that no electric charges are in that region?
Relevant Equations
Gauss' Law. The net electric flux through any hypothetical closed surface is equal to 1/ε0 times the net electric charge enclosed within that closed surface. The closed surface is also referred to as Gaussian surface.
This is a conceptual question. I think we can conclude that electric charges cannot be present if there is no electric field in that region. Is this an application of Gauss' Law? A net electric flux thru a surface indicates that there is a charge within that region. An electric field must be present within the region if there is an net electrical flux. But since there is no electric field, then a net electric flux cannot exist and thus there is no charge.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can think of a region in space in which the electric field is zero, yet there are charges nearby. Can you think of such a region?

Likes berkeman and hutchphd
kuruman said:
I can think of a region in space in which the electric field is zero, yet there are charges nearby. Can you think of such a
How about a sphere with constant charge density on the surface? The electric field is 0 on the inside of the sphere, but there are charges on the surface.

Last edited by a moderator:
putongren said:
How about a sphere with constant charge density on the surface? The electric field is 0 on the inside of the sphere, but there are charges on the surface.
You read my thoughts. A closed but arbitrarily shaped conducting surface with charge on it also works. No need for uniform charge density.

Likes berkeman
I'm just wondering, the charges are on the surface, and the electric field is inside the sphere. Does the charges qualify as in the same region as the region inside the sphere? The original question states that the charges has to be in the same region as the electric field.

putongren said:
I'm just wondering, the charges are on the surface, and the electric field is inside the sphere. Does the charges qualify as in the same region as the region inside the sphere? The original question states that the charges has to be in the same region as the electric field.
@kuruman shifted the goalposts just a bit. I agree that zero field in the interior of a spherical shell and non-zero charge density on the shell does not qualify as the "same region".

One thing that comes to mind but is definitely non-physical would be a body that spans all of 3 space with a uniform charge density. This has non-zero charge density everywhere but (arguably) no non-zero field anywhere.

Likes PeroK
putongren said:
The term "region" is not clearly defined and I grappled with this before I posted earlier. Since no operational definition of "region" was specified, I confess to moving the goalposts a bit because nobody said I couldn't. In any case, the surface charges are on the conductor which conductor is arguably the same "region" where the electric field is zero.

Likes SammyS and phinds
putongren said:
If we assume a finite number of point charges, then there must be a non-zero electric field in a small enough neighbourhood of each charge.

Likes jbriggs444
PeroK said:
If we assume a finite number of point charges, then there must be a non-zero electric field in a small enough neighbourhood of each charge.
Now that is moving the goalposts. The implicit assumption in classical electrostatics is that charge is a continuous fluid, i.e. there is no point-charge "granularity." A charge element ##dq=\rho~dV## abuts the next such charge element.

Likes vanhees71
I understand the question such that it is assumed that ##\vec{E}(\vec{x})=0## for all ##\vec{x} \in V##. From Gauss's equation then you get of course ##\rho=0##. It's pretty much a one-liner to answer this question.

Of course the other way, i.e., if ##\rho(\vec{x})=0## for ##\vec{x} \in V##, you cannot conclude that ##\vec{E}=0## in this region, which is also pretty obvious, as @PeroK said in #8.

Likes DaveE and PhDeezNutz
vanhees71 said:
I understand the question such that it is assumed that ##\vec{E}(\vec{x})=0## for all ##\vec{x} \in V##. From Gauss's equation then you get of course ##\rho=0##. It's pretty much a one-liner to answer this question.

Of course the other way, i.e., if ##\rho(\vec{x})=0## for ##\vec{x} \in V##, you cannot conclude that ##\vec{E}=0## in this region, which is also pretty obvious, as @PeroK said in #8.
That's fine, mathematically. The question, as stated, talks about a "region". The issue is whether surface ##S## that encloses ##V## in the case of a charged conductor is part of this region or not.

kuruman said:
Now that is moving the goalposts. The implicit assumption in classical electrostatics is that charge is a continuous fluid, i.e. there is no point-charge "granularity." A charge element ##dq=\rho~dV## abuts the next such charge element.
It was more providing a solution for a specific case.

PS to be pedantic, in the continuous case there is no next volume element.

Last edited:
vanhees71 said:
It's a one liner if you know Gauss's Law as ##\nabla\cdot \vec E = \rho##, but I'm guessing the OP is only familiar with the integral form so far. Using the integral form, there's a little more reasoning needed to argue there's no charge in the region.

kuruman said:
The issue is whether surface ##S## that encloses ##V## in the case of a charged conductor is part of this region or not.
I'd say it doesn't. The field changes discontinuously at the surface, so the condition ##\vec E = 0## doesn't hold there.

Likes PeroK

1. What is the meaning of "no electric charges if no electric field in region"?

This statement means that if there is no electric field present in a specific region, then there are no electric charges present in that region. In other words, the presence of electric charges is directly related to the presence of an electric field.

2. How does the absence of an electric field affect the movement of electric charges?

The absence of an electric field means that there is no force acting on the electric charges. Therefore, the charges will not experience any movement or acceleration. They will remain stationary or continue to move at a constant velocity if they were already in motion.

3. Can there be an electric field present without any electric charges?

No, according to the statement "no electric charges if no electric field in region", there cannot be an electric field present without any electric charges. The electric field is created by the presence of electric charges and cannot exist without them.

4. How are electric charges and electric fields related?

Electric charges and electric fields are directly related. Electric charges create an electric field, which exerts a force on other electric charges. The strength and direction of the electric field depend on the magnitude and distribution of the electric charges.

5. Is it possible to have electric charges present but no electric field?

No, it is not possible to have electric charges present without an electric field. As mentioned before, electric charges create an electric field, so the presence of electric charges automatically means the presence of an electric field. However, the strength of the electric field may vary depending on the distribution of the charges.