Electric flux through a square lamina

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a double integral to find the flux through a square. The correct answer is given and the person is trying to find out where they went wrong in their evaluation. Some suggestions for simplifying the working are provided, such as using symmetry and choosing a value for length 'a'.
Hamiltonian
Homework Statement
find the electric flux through a square sheet of side length ##a## due to a charge ##q## placed a distance ##a## away from the centre of the square.
Relevant Equations
##\phi = \int \vec E.\vec{da}##
1619025038160.png

taking origin at the centre of the square.
##d\phi = \vec E.\vec{da}##
$$d\phi = \frac {kqa}{(x^2 + y^2 + a^2)^{3/2}} da$$
$$\phi = \int_{-a/2}^{a/2}\int_{-a/2}^{a/2}\frac{kqa}{(x^2+y^2+a^2)^{3/2}}(dx)(dy)$$
on evaluating this double integral i get $$\phi = (q/\pi{\varepsilon}_0 )(tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{2\sqrt{6}}))$$
the correct answer is supposed to be:
1619025767778.png

where am I going wrong?:oldconfused:

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Check to see if your answer and the given answer are actually equal to one another.

Likes Hamiltonian
TSny said:
Check to see if your answer and the given answer are actually equal to one another.
I used a calculator and they are not equal :H

Make sure your calculator is in radian mode.

• Love
Likes Steve4Physics, etotheipi and Hamiltonian
Hamiltonian299792458 said:
$$\phi = \int_{-a/2}^{a/2}\int_{-a/2}^{a/2}\frac{kqa}{(x^2+y^2+a^2)^{3/2}}(dx)(dy)$$
on evaluating this double integral i get $$\phi = (q/\pi{\varepsilon}_0 )(tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{2\sqrt{6}}))$$
the correct answer is supposed to be:
View attachment 281837
where am I going wrong?:oldconfused:
Your double integral for ##\phi## looks OK. But there is no way to tell where (or even if) you are 'going wrong' evaluating the double integral without seeing all the detailed working.

A couple of hints which can help simplify the working:

- because of the symmetry, you can just find the flux through one quadrant of the square and multiply this by 4: the integration limits become simpler (from 0 to a/2);

- without loss of generality you can choose any value for length 'a' (I'll let you think about why!);

The working might then be simplified enough for you to spot any error(s) more easily.

By the way, using the same symbol ('a') for both length and area is not a good idea!

1. What is electric flux through a square lamina?

Electric flux is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through a given surface. In the case of a square lamina, it refers to the amount of electric field passing through a square-shaped surface.

2. How is electric flux through a square lamina calculated?

The electric flux through a square lamina can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field passing through the surface by the area of the surface. This is represented by the formula Φ = E x A, where Φ is the electric flux, E is the electric field, and A is the area of the surface.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric flux?

The unit of measurement for electric flux is volt-meters (V-m) or newton-meters squared per coulomb (N-m2/C).

4. How does the orientation of the square lamina affect the electric flux?

The orientation of the square lamina does not affect the electric flux. As long as the surface area and electric field remain constant, the electric flux will also remain constant.

5. What is the significance of electric flux through a square lamina?

Electric flux through a square lamina is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electric fields and their interactions with surfaces. It is also used in various calculations and equations in the field of electromagnetism.