Electric Force and Work Question

In summary: So the work done on each particle would be 1/3 of the total work done on all three particles. Therefore, the correct answer would be kq^2/r.
erisedk

Homework Statement

Three identical particles, each possessing mass m and charge +q, are placed at the corners of an equilateral triangle with side r. The particles are simultaneously set free and start flying apart symmetrically due to coulomb's repulsion forces. The work performed by Coulomb's forces acting on each particle until the particles fly from one another to a very large distance is --

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the work energy theorem,
ΔKE = W
Also ΔKE of one particle = 2kq^2/r
So, ΔKE of all three particles = 6kq^2/r
Hence, W = 6kq^2/r

However, the answer given is kq^2/r

What have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:

Homework Statement

Three identical particles, each possessing mass m and charge +q, are placed at the corners of an equilateral triangle with side r. The particles are simultaneously set free and start flying apart symmetrically due to coulomb's repulsion forces. The work performed by Coulomb's forces acting on each particle until the particles fly from one another to a very large distance is --

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

According to the work energy theorem,
ΔKE = W
Also ΔKE of one particle = 2kq^2/r
So, ΔKE of all three particles = 6kq^2/r
Hence, W = 6kq^2/r

However, the answer given is kq^2/r

What have I done wrong?
Neither answer looks right to me.
Are you sure you have quoted the given answer correctly?
You quoted the work done as the first particle goes off a great distance. That having happened, what work is done on the next one?

What about 3kq^2/r?
That's the potential energy of the system initially.
I have quoted it right, but sometimes those answers at the back can be wrong so it's not necessary to completely trust it.

erisedk said:
What about 3kq^2/r?
That's the answer I'd give.

Ok thank you then, that's what I thought sometime after the original post.

Maybe, they're asking work done on ONE particle, that's why it's 1/3rd?

erisedk said:
Maybe, they're asking work done on ONE particle, that's why it's 1/3rd?
Yes, it says 'each'.

What is work done by electric force?

The work done by electric force is the amount of energy transferred to an object by an electric field. It is measured in joules (J) and is calculated by multiplying the electric force (in newtons) by the displacement (in meters).

How is work done by electric force related to voltage?

Work done by electric force is directly related to voltage. The higher the voltage, the more work is done by the electric force. This is because voltage is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge, and work is the transfer of energy.

Can work done by electric force be negative?

Yes, work done by electric force can be negative. This occurs when the electric force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work. This means that energy is being taken away from the object by the electric force.

What is the difference between work done by electric force and work done by gravitational force?

The main difference between work done by electric force and work done by gravitational force is the type of force being applied. Electric force is caused by the interaction of charged particles, while gravitational force is caused by the mass of objects. Additionally, electric force can be attractive or repulsive, while gravitational force is always attractive.

How is work done by electric force used in real-life applications?

Work done by electric force is used in many real-life applications, such as powering electronic devices, generating electricity, and operating electric motors. It is also involved in the production of lightning, the functioning of batteries, and the movement of charged particles in the human body.