Electric Motor Assignment Angular Velocity Question

In summary: Then use the following equation to find angular velocity.angular velocity = I * (1-e^(-kT))That would get me the angular velocity I need.
spinflick

Homework Statement

Hey so I've made a motor that looks and works exactly like the one in this video

The assignment is asking me how I would go about finding the angular velocity, specifically " Analysis of the energy changes involved in the motor to work out the speed/ or angular velocity"

The problem is I have no idea how to do this, I asked my physics teacher and he said start from F= B I L sinθ but its been very confusing, I think I may not have some of the values I need and even if I did I'm sure its not as simple as just substituting them into the equation.

Motor runs off a battery of 12 V, 1.3 amps. It has 120 coils of copper wire (estimate) and the angle for sinθ is 90 degrees

Homework Equations

F= B I L sinθ

angular-velocity-formula.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I don't know which values I need from the motor. I run it off 12V and a 1.3 amp battery, I have a multi-meter and a spring balance, I don't know the magnetic field strength of my magnets or the electromagnets I've made. I forgot to count the amount of coils, but the teacher marking it isn't going to know either so I'd estimate around 120 coils. If anyone can help me out it'd be great, ask me for information about the motor and I'll be happy to get the values for current, voltage, resistance etc and reply back

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I'm not sure but can't you just record the time for 20 rotations, divide by 20 to get time period ##T##
then substitute in the equation for ##\omega##. Wouldn't that make sense? I'm sorry if I'm wrong!

Suraj M said:
Ok I'm not sure but can't you just record the time for 20 rotations, divide by 20 to get time period ##T##
then substitute in the equation for ##\omega##. Wouldn't that make sense? I'm sorry if I'm wrong!

That's helpful, and it should get me the angular velocity, so ill use my phone and slow motion record it and count. Only thing from that point is what 'energy changes' in the motor give me that amount of velocity

I don't know much about current, but if i were you i would find the moment of inertia ##I## and then calculate Rotational kinetic energy.

1. What is an electric motor?

An electric motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It works by using the interaction between magnetic fields and electric current to produce rotational motion.

2. What is assignment angular velocity in relation to electric motors?

Assignment angular velocity is a term used to describe the speed at which the electric motor is rotating. It is measured in radians per second and is an important factor in determining the performance of the motor.

3. How is the angular velocity of an electric motor calculated?

The angular velocity of an electric motor can be calculated by dividing the total number of rotations (in radians) by the time taken to complete those rotations. It can also be determined by measuring the change in angular displacement over a specific time period.

4. What factors can affect the angular velocity of an electric motor?

The angular velocity of an electric motor can be affected by various factors such as the voltage and current supplied to the motor, the design and construction of the motor, the load on the motor, and the efficiency of the motor.

5. How does angular velocity impact the performance of an electric motor?

The angular velocity of an electric motor directly affects its performance. A higher angular velocity means the motor can rotate faster and generate more power, while a lower angular velocity results in slower rotation and less power output. It is important to find the optimal angular velocity for a specific motor to achieve maximum performance.