Electric race car cooling system

In summary, the speaker, an undergraduate engineering student, is seeking advice on designing an electric car radiator. They have started their calculations by estimating the rate of heat transfer from the drivetrain and determining the maximum delta T required. They are looking for guidance on how to proceed and have been researching sizing vehicle radiator systems.
melipk
hello everybody!
As an undergraduated student of engineering I have to design a elecric car radiator from the beginning!
The truth is that am a little confused.. I started my calculations by estimate the rate of heat transferred by the drivetrain and finding the maximum delta T needed.. any idea of how should I continue?

Engineering news on Phys.org
melipk said:
hello everybody!
As an undergraduated student of engineering I have to design a elecric car radiator from the beginning!
The truth is that am a little confused.. I started my calculations by estimate the rate of heat transferred by the drivetrain and finding the maximum delta T needed.. any idea of how should I continue?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

So your car uses a liquid cooling system? What have you found in your research about sizing vehicle radiator systems? Can you show us links to some of the reading you have been doing?

What is an electric race car cooling system?

An electric race car cooling system is a system that uses electrically powered components to cool down the various systems in a race car, such as the engine, transmission, and brakes. This is done to prevent overheating and maintain optimal performance during races.

How does an electric race car cooling system work?

An electric race car cooling system typically consists of a pump, fan, and radiator. The pump circulates coolant through the engine and other components, while the fan helps to dissipate heat from the coolant as it passes through the radiator. Some systems may also include additional components such as a heat exchanger or water spray system.

What are the benefits of using an electric race car cooling system?

Compared to traditional mechanical cooling systems, electric race car cooling systems offer several benefits. They are more energy-efficient, as they only run when needed and do not require engine power to operate. They also have fewer moving parts, reducing the risk of mechanical failure, and can be controlled more precisely for optimal cooling performance.

Can an electric race car cooling system be used in any type of race car?

Yes, an electric race car cooling system can be used in most types of race cars, including open-wheel, stock cars, and sports cars. However, the specific components and setup may vary depending on the type of race car and its cooling needs.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using an electric race car cooling system?

One potential drawback is the initial cost of installing an electric race car cooling system, as it may be more expensive than traditional mechanical systems. Additionally, if the system malfunctions during a race, it may be more difficult to repair or replace compared to a traditional system. However, the benefits of improved performance and efficiency often outweigh these potential drawbacks.