Electrical Analog of Aharonov-Bohm Effect

• I
  • Thread starter LarryS
  • Start date
LarryS
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Was original experiment, EXACTLY as specified in the 1959 paper, ever performed successfully?
The original paper for what is now called the Aharonov-Bohm Effect was published in 1959. In this paper they proposed two experiments: One for detecting phase shifts for two electron beams, each passing through regions (inside metal tubes) with constant but differing Electric Potentials. The second for detecting a phase shift for electrons passing through a region of constant Magnetic Vector Potential outside of a solenoid.

Was the first experiment, exactly as specified in the original paper, ever performed successfully?

Thank you in advance.

Likes gentzen and vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
The emphasis of “exactly” is a little problematic. It just predisposes you to reject experiments because of some ridiculously insignificant deviation from an idealized theoretical experiment.

Likes vanhees71 and Vanadium 50
Ok. Makes sense. So, were there any experiments for the electrical analog of the AB Effect that were fairly close to the one in the original paper that were successful?

Likes vanhees71 and Dale
Larry, this turns this into a guesing game. "What about this one?" "Nope, doesn't count as close enough." "What about this one. then?" "Nope, doesn't count as close enough either."

Has the OP found any articles that purport such tests? The electric potential result is somewhat less surprising to most folks I think.

Likes vanhees71
hutchphd said:
Has the OP found any articles that purport such tests? The electric potential result is somewhat less surprising to most folks I think.
I found one article regarding an experiment that used solid-state technology to confirm the electrical analog of the AB Effect. I will try find it. I found no experiments that even remotely resembled the experiment suggested in the original paper.

Likes vanhees71
Very interesting. Nice question, wish I knew more.

LarryS said:
I found one article regarding an experiment that used solid-state technology to confirm the electrical analog of the AB Effect. I will try find it. I found no experiments that even remotely resembled the experiment suggested in the original paper.
Correction: The article I found was for an experiment using graphene rings. My impression of the experiment was that is was more about electron flow in graphene than about the electrical analog of the AB effect. It did not conclusively confirm the electrical AB Effect.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the Electrical Analog of Aharonov-Bohm Effect?

The Electrical Analog of Aharonov-Bohm Effect is a phenomenon in which the magnetic flux through a region of space affects the phase of an electron wave, even though the electron never actually passes through the magnetic field. This effect is similar to the original Aharonov-Bohm Effect, which describes the phase shift of a particle wave due to an electromagnetic field, but in the electrical analog, the electromagnetic field is replaced by an electric field.

2. How is the Electrical Analog of Aharonov-Bohm Effect observed?

The Electrical Analog of Aharonov-Bohm Effect can be observed by measuring the interference pattern of an electron beam passing through a double-slit experiment. When a magnetic field is applied to one of the slits, the interference pattern shifts, indicating that the magnetic flux is affecting the phase of the electron wave.

3. What is the significance of the Electrical Analog of Aharonov-Bohm Effect?

The Electrical Analog of Aharonov-Bohm Effect provides further evidence for the wave-particle duality of electrons and the influence of electromagnetic fields on their behavior. It also has potential applications in quantum computing and information processing.

4. How does the Electrical Analog of Aharonov-Bohm Effect relate to the original Aharonov-Bohm Effect?

The Electrical Analog of Aharonov-Bohm Effect is a variation of the original effect, but instead of an electromagnetic field, it involves an electric field. Both effects demonstrate the influence of fields on the phase of a particle wave, and both have been experimentally verified.

5. Can the Electrical Analog of Aharonov-Bohm Effect be observed with other particles besides electrons?

Yes, the Electrical Analog of Aharonov-Bohm Effect has been observed with other particles such as neutrons, photons, and atoms. This further supports the idea that all particles exhibit wave-like behavior and are affected by electromagnetic fields in a similar manner.