Electrical energy stored by charged concentric spherical shells

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy stored in a shell capacitor and the potential energy outside the two shells. The approach involves using the shell theorem and Gauss's law, with the final result being that the total energy is the sum of the energy between the shells and the energy outside the outer shell. There is also discussion about different ways to calculate the potential energy outside the outer shell.
phantomvommand
I thought up of this problem myself, so I do not have solutions. I would appreciate if you could correct my approach to solving this problem.

Firstly, the charge induced on the inner surface of shell B is -q, and so the charge on the outer surface of shell B is Q+q.

The energy stored can be calculated as the potential energy stored by a shell capacitor of charge q, as given by (q^2/8pi e0)(1/a - 1/b). Then, we have to add the potential energy stored in the E-field outside the 2 shells, which is (1/4pi e0) (Q+q)/b.

Does my approach look right?

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the method is okay, but I wonder if the potential energy outside the second sphere should instead be $$U = \frac{(Q+q)^2}{8 \pi \varepsilon_0 b}$$

Likes phantomvommand
etotheipi said:
I think the method is okay, but I wonder if the potential energy outside the second sphere should instead be $$U = \frac{(Q+q)^2}{8 \pi \varepsilon_0 b}$$

You are right. I forgot that the shell theorem does not apply to energy and potential.

Likes etotheipi
Potential energy no, but it does apply to potential! To get the above you just need to write the energy of a second spherical capacitor from radius ##b## to radius infinity (exactly the same way as you calculated the first contribution to the energy, between the shells). But if you're interested, you can also find the energy another way!

Take, for example, just the region outside the outer shell. From Gauss you see that the electric potential for ##r \in [b, \infty)## is just ##\phi(r) = \frac{k(Q+q)}{r}##, i.e. the same as for a point charge ##Q + q## at the origin, due to the spherical symmetry. The associated electric field is ##\mathbf{E} = \frac{k(Q+q)}{r^2} \mathbf{e}_r##. And the norm-squared of that vector is ##|\mathbf{E}|^2 = \frac{k^2(Q+q)^2}{r^4}##

So denote by ##\Omega \subseteq \mathbb{R}^3## the set of points with radii ##r \in [b, \infty)##, then given the volume element ##dV = r^2 dr do## in spherical coordinates you have$$
\begin{align*}

U_2 &= \frac{\varepsilon_0}{2} \int_{\Omega} |\mathbf{E}|^2 dV \\ \\

&= \frac{\varepsilon_0 k^2 (Q+q)^2}{2} \int_{0}^{4\pi} \int_{b}^{\infty} r^{-2} dr do = \frac{\varepsilon_0 k^2 (Q+q)^2}{2} \frac{4\pi}{b} = \frac{(Q+q)^2}{8\pi \varepsilon_0 b}

\end{align*}
$$Of course, you could also do the same integral in the region between the two shells, which would give you the electric energy ##U_1##. And the sum ##U_1 + U_2## gives you what you're after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes phantomvommand and vanhees71

1. What is the concept of electrical energy stored by charged concentric spherical shells?

The concept of electrical energy stored by charged concentric spherical shells is based on the principle of electrostatic potential energy. This energy is stored when charges are placed on the surface of a spherical shell, creating an electric field between the inner and outer surfaces of the shell.

2. How is the electrical energy stored by charged concentric spherical shells calculated?

The electrical energy stored by charged concentric spherical shells can be calculated using the formula E = Q^2 / (4πεr), where E is the energy, Q is the charge on the shell, ε is the permittivity of the medium between the shells, and r is the radius of the shell.

3. What factors affect the amount of electrical energy stored by charged concentric spherical shells?

The amount of electrical energy stored by charged concentric spherical shells is affected by the charge on the shells, the distance between the shells, and the permittivity of the medium between the shells. Additionally, the size and thickness of the shells can also impact the amount of energy stored.

4. How is the electrical energy released from charged concentric spherical shells?

The electrical energy stored by charged concentric spherical shells can be released by connecting the shells with a conducting wire, which allows the charges to flow and equalize the potential difference between the shells. This process is known as discharging.

5. What are some real-life applications of electrical energy stored by charged concentric spherical shells?

One of the most common applications of electrical energy stored by charged concentric spherical shells is in capacitors, which are used in electronic devices to store and release electrical energy. This energy storage mechanism is also utilized in high-voltage power lines and in medical devices like defibrillators.