Electrical Engineer major taking electrician internship?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential benefits of pursuing a HV electrician internship for an engineering student. It is suggested that the opportunity would be most valuable for those in the Electrical (power) field, as it would provide practical knowledge and experience relevant to their career path. However, for those in electronics engineering, the internship may not be as beneficial. The conversation also touches on the demand for tradespeople, particularly in the construction electrician field.
djboy808
Currently in my 3rd year in college of engineering, and I recently got offered a HV electrician intern for the DoD. Is worth taking? Being that its different towards my degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electrical or electronics engineering? If you are Electrical (power), it is definitely worth your time.

If you are electronics oriented, you should probably pass. While you might learn a lot, not much would be applicable to your career path. Medium and High voltage bring out the chicken in me. All the safety training you will not increase any of your knowledge of electronics.

Likes JakeBrodskyPE
Even if your electronics engineering it may not be a bad thing.
I recently graduated with an Electrical and Computer Engineering degree (I was in the computer stream but my university only hands out 1 degree title)
My job now deals with industrial controllers and communications to and from the controllers. I find my self quite often on site poking around in panels and tracing wiring. Having a bit more "electrician" knowledge would be helpful.
Also, at least in Canada, we covered nothing around the Canadian Electrical Standards code in classes, working as an electrician you'll probably be forced to pick up some of that knowledge :)

Likes JakeBrodskyPE
You definitely should. Tradespeople are in insanely high demand, especially construction electricians (at least where I am - Canada).

Likes JakeBrodskyPE

1. What is the difference between an electrical engineer major and an electrician?

An electrical engineer major focuses on the design and development of electrical systems and devices, while an electrician specializes in the installation, maintenance, and repair of electrical systems.

2. Can an electrical engineer major benefit from an electrician internship?

Yes, an electrician internship can provide practical hands-on experience that complements the theoretical knowledge gained through an electrical engineering major. It can also help develop skills such as troubleshooting and problem-solving.

3. Will an electrician internship count towards an electrical engineering degree?

It depends on the specific program and institution. Some may allow an electrician internship to count towards elective credits, while others may not. It is important to consult with an academic advisor before enrolling in an internship.

4. What skills can an electrical engineer major gain from an electrician internship?

Some skills that an electrical engineer major can gain from an electrician internship include electrical installation and troubleshooting, knowledge of electrical codes and safety regulations, and hands-on experience with various tools and equipment.

5. How can an electrical engineer major find an electrician internship?

An electrical engineer major can find an electrician internship through their university's career center, job search websites, or by networking with professionals in the industry. It is also helpful to reach out to local electrical companies and inquire about internship opportunities.