Electrical Engineering fields close to Physics

In summary: So in summary, the student is seeking fields related to Physics that are heavy on theoretical aspects, such as particle physics, standard model, and quantum mechanics. They are not interested in circuits and are considering fields like plasma physics, but are unsure if they will be accepted with an EEE background. Some suggested fields include accelerator physics, detector physics, device physics, plasma physics, and material science. Additionally, they may want to explore areas such as quantum optics, laser science, photonics, and optical electronics which are at the intersection of engineering and physics. Some universities may offer specialization groups in electro-optics and waves, or micro and nano electronics, which could provide a deeper understanding of these topics.
Rio1210
Hello everyone,

I am a junior year EEE student ( in a South Asian country ) and I will have to declare my thesis topic pretty soon. Anyway, the reason I am here is that I love Physics and want to migrate to something that is more heavy on the theoritical side. Things like particle physics, standard model and quantum mechanics. I am not yet sure if want to completely do a masters/PhD in Physics, but that's something I'm pondering.

What I want to know are fields I can pursue that are closely related to Physics (has plenty of advanced Quantum mechanics, electromagnetic waves and fields and such). One thing I hate is circuits; can't stand it. I know it's ironical, and it's not like I am really bad at it. I just don't like it. So anything else. One field that I've looked up and that I find interesting is Plasma Physics, but I don't know if I'll be accepted from the EEE background, and even if I'm accepted I don't want to end up doing the "Electrical Stuffs" in the research group.

I know I've been quite vague in my questions, but I'm betting on that you guys would understand my problem. Please suggest some fields for me in which I can pursue my Masters/PhD. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rio1210 said:
Hello everyone,

I am a junior year EEE student ( in a South Asian country ) and I will have to declare my thesis topic pretty soon. Anyway, the reason I am here is that I love Physics and want to migrate to something that is more heavy on the theoritical side. Things like particle physics, standard model and quantum mechanics. I am not yet sure if want to completely do a masters/PhD in Physics, but that's something I'm pondering.

What I want to know are fields I can pursue that are closely related to Physics (has plenty of advanced Quantum mechanics, electromagnetic waves and fields and such). One thing I hate is circuits; can't stand it. I know it's ironical, and it's not like I am really bad at it. I just don't like it. So anything else. One field that I've looked up and that I find interesting is Plasma Physics, but I don't know if I'll be accepted from the EEE background, and even if I'm accepted I don't want to end up doing the "Electrical Stuffs" in the research group.

I know I've been quite vague in my questions, but I'm betting on that you guys would understand my problem. Please suggest some fields for me in which I can pursue my Masters/PhD. Thanks.

Accelerator physics, detector physics, device physics, plasma physics, and material science.

Zz.

Rio1210 said:
Hello everyone,

Things like quantum optics, laser science, photonics, optical electronics etc. are still very much active areas in-between engineering and physics. There have been a flurry of reports in the US and abroad calling for investment in these areas of research: e.g. US: https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/NSTC/ftac-op_pssc_20140417.pdf Europe: http://spie.org/x105060.xml?WT.mc_id=MSPIEPROGBW

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak from first hand experience but where I study EE undergrads are required to take specialization groups that are supposed to give them a taste of the different that EEs go to, two such groups that are physics heavy are electro-optics & waves where the sudents go more in-depth into QM and general wave phenomena, the other group is micro&nano electronics where the students learn the students learn the physics of semiconductors ( including courses such as solid state physics, QM and statistical physics), I don't know how much that info helps but I assume that looking into these areas might lead to some new insights or other directions to look

1. What is the difference between electrical engineering and physics?

Electrical engineering is a specific branch of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems, whereas physics is a broad science that encompasses the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. While electrical engineering heavily relies on the principles of physics, it also incorporates other disciplines such as mathematics, computer science, and materials science.

2. What are some examples of electrical engineering fields that are closely related to physics?

Some examples of electrical engineering fields that are closely related to physics include microelectronics, nanotechnology, plasma physics, and quantum electronics. These fields utilize the principles of physics to design and develop electronic devices and systems, such as transistors, integrated circuits, and lasers.

3. How does electrical engineering contribute to advancements in physics?

Electrical engineering plays an important role in advancing physics through the development of new technologies and instruments that enable scientists to study and understand various phenomena. For example, electrical engineers have contributed to the development of particle accelerators, telescopes, and detectors, which have greatly expanded our knowledge of the universe.

4. Can someone with a background in physics pursue a career in electrical engineering?

Yes, someone with a background in physics can pursue a career in electrical engineering. Many concepts and principles in physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics, are also applicable in electrical engineering. However, additional training and education may be required to gain a deeper understanding of the engineering principles and practices.

5. What are some potential career paths for someone interested in both physics and electrical engineering?

Some potential career paths for someone interested in both physics and electrical engineering include working in research and development for companies or government agencies, teaching at a university, or pursuing a career in academia. Other options may include working in fields such as renewable energy, telecommunications, or medical physics, which require a combination of physics and electrical engineering knowledge.