Electrical engineering grad school

In summary, the prerequisites for applying to an electrical engineering graduate program typically include a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field, along with a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer programming. Work experience is not always required, but it may strengthen your application. Students with a bachelor's degree in a different field may be able to apply, but may need to take prerequisite courses. The duration of a program is usually 2-3 years, and graduates have a variety of career opportunities in industries such as telecommunications and research and development.
snowman_
Hi guys and gals,

I'm an EE major working towards my bachelor's degree, I would like to apply to PhD programs when I'm close to being finished or finished with my bachelor's. I need advice for some schools to consider and if I'm on the right track to an alright school. Reader's digest at end.

My interests are computer architectures and embedded systems as well as some other things. I see a future in hardware inspired by human biology/interacts with our body in new ways, "autonomous" design of hardware and autonomous operation of devices, FPGA + microprocessor co-mingling like Intel recently announced for their Xeon line.

My GPA is 3.73 for my major and I think 3.8 overall. By the time I'll graduate I'll have taken my school's entire "digital hardware sequence" (up to and including the first computer architecture course), a course where we design an FPGA, VLSI design, CMOS IC design. I'm self-teaching myself verilog instead of taking the elective course.

I recently began working with my school's computer systems/architecture research lab on evolvable hardware using genetic algorithms to control the evolution (insanely interesting field btw). By the time I apply for PhD programs I'll have my name on a few papers as co-author and I'm planning to write a small paper on my own likely on applying genetic algorithms to FPGA design.I'm not looking at the elite schools (which I know is a crapshoot even with a perfect applicant), I would like to be more realistic. I go to the University of Central Florida and they have strong selection of faculty active in areas of my interest, but I would like to be exposed to new surroundings. North Carolina would be an ideal location as my girlfriend's family lives there. My brother lives in Texas and practically everyone in my family graduated from University of Texas, I would consider that. MIT and Stanford will always have my <3 along with having interesting research, for the hell of it should I apply to 1 of them?

-------In short,---------
GPA 3.73 Major, 3.8 Overall
Involved in research and will have published papers
Very nice person ;)
What grad schools should I consider, and am I on a decent path for an alright program?
------------------------

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are well on your way to successfully applying to graduate programs. You have a strong academic background and research experience, which will be helpful in getting into grad school. With regards to schools to consider, some good options might be the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, University of Texas Austin, MIT, Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, Georgia Tech, and UC Berkeley. All of these schools have highly ranked EE programs and offer research opportunities in areas related to your interests. It's important to keep in mind that while these are some of the most highly ranked programs, there are many other excellent schools out there that may be better suited for you. It's worth researching different programs and seeing which ones fit your interests and career goals best. Good luck with your applications!

1. What are the prerequisites for applying to an electrical engineering graduate program?

The specific prerequisites for each program may vary, but generally, applicants are expected to have a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field, with a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer programming. Some programs may also require specific courses or a certain GPA. It is important to check the requirements of each program before applying.

2. Is work experience required for admission to an electrical engineering grad program?

While work experience may be beneficial, it is not always a requirement for admission to an electrical engineering graduate program. Many programs value academic achievements and potential for research and may not require prior work experience. However, having relevant work experience may strengthen your application and make you a more competitive candidate.

3. Can I apply to an electrical engineering grad program if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

It is possible to apply to an electrical engineering graduate program with a bachelor's degree in a different field, but you may be required to take prerequisite courses to build a foundation in the subject. Some programs offer a bridge program for students with non-engineering backgrounds, which can help prepare you for graduate-level coursework in electrical engineering.

4. What is the typical duration of an electrical engineering grad program?

The duration of an electrical engineering graduate program can vary depending on the specific program, but most programs take 2-3 years to complete. Some programs may offer a fast-track option for students with a strong background in the subject, while others may require a longer time for research and thesis preparation.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of an electrical engineering grad program?

Graduates of an electrical engineering graduate program have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, power systems, electronics, and computer hardware and software. They can also pursue careers in research and development, academia, and government agencies. Many graduates also go on to pursue higher-level positions such as project managers, technical consultants, and engineering managers.