Electrical engineering vs. nuclear engineering

In summary: Go out and see what you're interested in. Talk to people. Get a feel for what the industry is like. Network. Then go for it!
Sapper 91D
Hi, everyone.

I am a student studying physics in one of colleges in Wisconsin, and this school has a program called Dual Engineering. Through this program, I will get a physics BS degree and study one type of engineering in UW-Madison for another BS.

I really debate myself these days between electrical engineering and nuclear engineering.

If I choose EE, I will focus on Communications and Signal Processing for BS and MS degree.

If I choose NE, I will focus on Radiation Science for BS and medical physics for MS degree.

I know they have a big difference, the demand. So far as I know, it is not hard to get a job with EE MS degree, but it is with medical physics MS even though it guarantees high wage if I get a job for it in hospital.

I need advice to decide the issue. I will appreciate any comment. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
“Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough. Work as hard and as much as you want to on the things you like to do the best. Don't think about what you want to be, but what you want to do. Keep up some kind of a minimum with other things so that society doesn't stop you from doing anything at all.”
- Richard Feynman

Do what you love.

Do your interests lean toward academia of industry ?

I can tell you about one niche industry, nuclear power.

A nuke plant needs three or four NE's for the reactor engineering department. They look after the reactor core but mostly via paperwork - the core itself is inaccessible except when fuel is new.
A nuke plant needs a couple dozen EE's to tend to the electrical and electronic equipment in the plant - you'd not believe how much of it there is. This can be as hands-on as you like, or paperwork in a central office.

I took a EE degree but my advisor let me apply Reactor Physics and Reactor Operation to the degree. I found a job in a nuke plant about forty miles from my hometown.
That turned out a really valuable combination of training - i did a lot of "interdiscipline translating" .

Bottom line - there's more openings in that industry for EE's than for NE's. There's not a lot of people coming out of school with a combination of the two.

If you like machinery , think about it. You might call the personnel office of an electric company and explain you're nearing graduation career choices and would like to visit a plant...

jim hardy said:
If you like machinery , think about it. You might call the personnel office of an electric company and explain you're nearing graduation career choices and would like to visit a plant...

This, OP, is how careers are made.

I understand the dilemma you are facing between choosing electrical engineering and nuclear engineering. Both fields have their own unique challenges and opportunities. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your interests and career goals.

Electrical engineering focuses on the design, development, and testing of electrical systems and devices, while nuclear engineering deals with the production and use of nuclear energy and radiation. Both fields require a strong understanding of physics and mathematics, but the applications and industries they are involved in are very different.

If you are interested in working with communication systems and signal processing, then electrical engineering may be the better fit for you. This field offers a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, electronics, and renewable energy. On the other hand, if you are passionate about nuclear energy and its applications in medicine, then nuclear engineering may be the right choice for you. This field offers opportunities in industries such as power generation, nuclear medicine, and nuclear waste management.

In terms of job demand, both fields have a high demand for skilled professionals. However, it is important to note that the demand for medical physics positions may be more limited compared to the demand for electrical engineering positions. This is something to consider when making your decision.

Ultimately, it is important to choose a field that you are passionate about and will enjoy working in. As you mentioned, a high salary may be guaranteed in medical physics, but it is important to also consider job satisfaction and fulfillment in your career. I suggest talking to professionals in both fields and gaining more insight into their day-to-day work to help you make a decision. Good luck!

Related to Electrical engineering vs. nuclear engineering

What is the difference between electrical engineering and nuclear engineering?

Electrical engineering deals with the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems and components such as circuits, generators, and motors. Nuclear engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the use of nuclear energy and radiation in power generation, medical applications, and other areas.

What are the educational requirements for becoming an electrical engineer or a nuclear engineer?

Both professions require a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited university. However, nuclear engineers may also need to obtain a license from their state in order to work with nuclear materials.

What type of work do electrical engineers and nuclear engineers typically do?

Electrical engineers may work on projects such as designing and testing electrical systems for buildings, vehicles, or electronic devices. Nuclear engineers may work on projects related to nuclear power plants, radiation safety, or medical imaging technology.

What are the job prospects for electrical engineers and nuclear engineers?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for both professions is expected to grow at a rate of about 5% from 2019 to 2029. However, the demand for nuclear engineers may vary depending on government funding for nuclear energy research and development.

What are some potential risks associated with working in electrical engineering or nuclear engineering?

Electrical engineers may face potential risks such as electrical shock or burns while working with live circuits or high voltage equipment. Nuclear engineers may be exposed to radiation and must follow strict safety protocols to minimize their risk of exposure.