Thinking about my future job prospects in Nuclear Engineering (not a US citizen)

In summary: I was just wondering if there was any other way. I feel like I've been rejected from every other career option.
random_soldier
I've mentioned my admission to MS Nuclear Engineering in the University of Florida earlier.

Thing is I am a foreigner. What with all the security most countries have surrounding nuclear technology, would I be limiting myself in the number of parties I can work with? I am aware I have other career options but I am asking strictly about options in engineering.

I did speak of taking instrumentation and control specialization possibly, earlier, which from the general definition of it would seem to open up more fields than nuclear. But then again, my degree would say I did an MS in Nuclear Engineering and not something like mechanical or electrical.

Physics news on Phys.org
@Astronuc can probably tell you more about the US. Can be challenging as foreigner.

Are you from a country that has nuclear research labs or reactors? Would that be an option?

Also, would you consider becoming a US citizen? I'm not sure if that would help, though. Again, @Astronuc will know the best.

mfb said:
@Astronuc can probably tell you more about the US. Can be challenging as foreigner.

Are you from a country that has nuclear research labs or reactors? Would that be an option?

Well yes. But I don't know about my chances. Lots of corruption in India. So it won't necessarily be the better qualified individual employed but more likely the person who knows how to pull the right strings from the right people and not necessarily with any legitimacy/legality.

Supposing I do land a job somehow, it would probably involve more dirty politics than actual engineering.

berkeman said:
Also, would you consider becoming a US citizen? I'm not sure if that would help, though. Again, @Astronuc will know the best.

I didn't realize they just passed out citizenship just like that. Though, I would have complete clearance even for government contracts with full fledged citizenship and anything short of that would make it quite difficult. Definitely no clearance for government jobs in that case.

At least that is what I gathered when asking elsewhere.

Say are there any particular times for @Astronuc?

Your chances of a citizenship are better the more 'sought after' your skill set/education is.

And it probably means more than just having a bachelor's/master's/doctor's in a particular field like being extraordinary as in part of some elite group or accomplished quite a bit, right? Or if nothing else, somebody with a lot of money to invest and improve the local market?

Only 2% of the US have a PhD. There are other ways to be highly educated, but with a PhD in an interesting field you are already in a very small group of highly educated experts.
random_soldier said:
Or if nothing else, somebody with a lot of money to invest and improve the local market?
It is possible to "buy" your way to a US citizenship, but that is something like a million of dollars you have to invest in the US as far as I remember.

mfb said:
Only 2% of the US have a PhD. There are other ways to be highly educated, but with a PhD in an interesting field you are already in a very small group of highly educated experts.

Is my field interesting?

Anyway from what I found out in a discussion elsewhere, something like the EB-1 visa gives an idea of what expertise based individuals are required to have: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EB-1_visa

The gist of it that I get is that you have to be someone of national/international acclaim at whatever it is you do. I am not or I would have published something that would have probably had people on these or other science forums abuzz.

Anyway, Any ideas on how I would use a P.hD to make an opening in the US? Or for that matter anywhere with good facilities, funding and willing to accept foreigners?

Though I have to note that I was fantasizing about pursuing it at an ivy league or something noted to be of the same/similar class like ETH Zurich hopefully by good performance during my MS (BS time wasn't that good so I kept limited choices). Just an FYI, in case it would cause a hiccup and/or you want to tell me to let it go.

If you want to work in commercial nuclear power in the US, being a non-citizen is a non-issue. I have known many "foreigners" from many different countries working in and for the nuclear plants.

If you want to work for DoE at one of the weapons facilities, that may be a different story, but I have no direct knowledge on that.

gmax137 said:
If you want to work in commercial nuclear power in the US, being a non-citizen is a non-issue. I have known many "foreigners" from many different countries working in and for the nuclear plants.

If you want to work for DoE at one of the weapons facilities, that may be a different story, but I have no direct knowledge on that.

I know the issue with government facilities that go under weapons from posting elsewhere as well. Foreigners don't have something called a 'Q' clearance in working for the DoE and apparently an attempt at anything higher up in NASA or working for the SpaceX program can only be fulfilled by full fledged US citizens or maybe foreigners whose expertise would be indispensable.

In the case of commercial nuclear power, a guy from one of the other places said that with the closing down of some power plants, there is an excess of experienced US born nuclear scientists. How much truth do you reckon there is to that?

Also, just addressing the discussion in general. I don't necessarily fear not having the opportunity to work in the US or in the nuclear industry. What I am afraid of is not having any genuine engineering opportunities or ending up having to work with/for a party/company/country noted to be particularly toxic/corrupt.

random_soldier said:
In the case of commercial nuclear power, a guy from one of the other places said that with the closing down of some power plants, there is an excess of experienced US born nuclear scientists. How much truth do you reckon there is to that?

That has some truth to it, but there are also a lot of people who have been in the industry since the 1970s and 1980s who are retiring now, making room for new hires. The only way to be sure, is to start looking to see which plant owners are hiring. Also check the reactor/fuel vendors, and engineering services companies that do work for the plants.

Thanks. Will do.

What is the job outlook for nuclear engineering outside of the US?

The job outlook for nuclear engineering outside of the US varies depending on the country. Some countries, such as China and Russia, have a large demand for nuclear engineers due to their expanding nuclear power industry. However, other countries may have limited job opportunities in this field. It is important to research the specific job market in the country you are interested in working in.

Are there any specific skills or certifications that are required for international nuclear engineering jobs?

The requirements for international nuclear engineering jobs may vary depending on the country and specific job role. However, some common skills and certifications that may be required include a strong understanding of nuclear physics and engineering principles, knowledge of international regulations and safety standards, and proficiency in the local language. It is important to research the specific requirements for the country and job you are interested in.

How does the salary for nuclear engineering jobs outside of the US compare to those in the US?

The salary for nuclear engineering jobs outside of the US can vary significantly depending on the country and job role. In some countries, the salary may be lower compared to those in the US, while in others, it may be higher. It is important to research the average salary for the country and job you are interested in to get a better understanding of the compensation you can expect.

What are some potential challenges or differences I may face as a non-US citizen working in nuclear engineering?

As a non-US citizen working in nuclear engineering, you may face some challenges and differences compared to US citizens. These may include obtaining work visas or permits, language and cultural barriers, and differences in workplace expectations and regulations. It is important to research and understand these potential challenges before pursuing job opportunities in nuclear engineering outside of the US.

What are some resources I can use to research international job opportunities in nuclear engineering?

There are several resources you can utilize to research international job opportunities in nuclear engineering. These include online job search engines, professional networking websites, and industry-specific job boards. You can also reach out to international companies or organizations in the nuclear energy sector to inquire about job openings and requirements. Additionally, consider attending job fairs or conferences related to nuclear engineering to network and learn about potential job opportunities.