Electrical fields of spherical shells

The electric field can be calculated by using Coulomb's law and Gauss's law for both constant and variable charge densities. The process involves determining the electric field at different points within and outside the sphere, using the given charge density values and the given radius. Sample problems may be helpful in understanding the concept better.
lowiqretard
Hello,

I am in a calc 1 general physics 2 summer session class and missed the lectures on this due to sickness. I'm really confused on applying coulomb's and gauss's laws to find the electrical field of a sphere or outside a sphere. This is of both variable and constant charge densities. I've been really struggling on this and feel retarded.

What is the exact process I need to apply to come up with the electrical field E:

1. of a sphere of uniform charge density ρ = cst inside the entire sphere

2. of a sphere of uniform charge density ρ = cst outside the sphere on a spherical shell of outer radius r

3. of a sphere of variable charge density ρ = ƒ(inner radius) inside the entire sphere

4. of a sphere of uniform charge density ρ = ƒ(inner radius) outside the sphere on a spherical shell of outer radius r

I can provide sample problems if needed.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a simple matter of applying the divergence theorem for a sphere of any given radius.

1. What is an electrical field of a spherical shell?

The electrical field of a spherical shell is the space surrounding the shell where an electric charge would experience a force. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electrical field of a spherical shell calculated?

The electrical field of a spherical shell can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electrical field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell.

3. What factors affect the electrical field of a spherical shell?

The electrical field of a spherical shell is affected by the charge of the shell, the distance from the center of the shell, and the medium surrounding the shell. It is also affected by the presence of other charges nearby.

4. How does the electrical field inside and outside of a spherical shell differ?

Inside a spherical shell, the electrical field is zero because the charges on the shell cancel each other out. Outside the shell, the electrical field follows the inverse square law and decreases with distance from the shell.

5. How is the direction of the electrical field of a spherical shell determined?

The direction of the electrical field of a spherical shell is determined by the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience if placed in that field. The direction is always perpendicular to the surface of the shell.