Image charge of source charge in spherical cavity

In summary, the solution for finding the image charge induced by a source charge outside a conducting sphere also works for the case where the source charge is inside the conducting sphere, which becomes a conducting cavity in this scenario. The image charge is located outside the sphere and the original charge is inside, with the potential being constant everywhere within the sphere. In this setup, the solution involves using the Coulomb potential for points outside the sphere and the image-charge method for points inside the sphere, resulting in the image charge being located on the x3 axis outside of the shell. The potential for points inside the sphere can then be uniquely determined by solving a quadratic equation and plugging in the appropriate boundary conditions.
feynman1
All are used to finding the image charge induced by a source charge outside a conducting sphere. The solution is supposed to also work for the case where the source charge is inside the conducting sphere, in which case the sphere is now a conducting cavity. But the solution suggests the image charge is infinite in charge and infinitely far from the source charge. How does this abnormal image charge produce such a normal electric field inside the void of the spherical cavity?

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution is the same as with the original charge outside the sphere. In this case the two charges are just reversed. The image charge is outside the sphere and the original charge is inside.

What I never liked about this picture is that if an original charge were placed inside a conducting sphere it would immediately go to the surface. Then the potential is constant everywhere within the sphere as we all know it has to be.

But, for what it's worth, try this, immediately after eq. 733:
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/node64.html

Also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_image_charges

Thanks. Note that I mean a source charge in the void of a conducting cavity, not the interior of the conductor, so the source charge is fixed from an external force.

feynman1 said:
Thanks. Note that I mean a source charge in the void of a conducting cavity, not the interior of the conductor, so the source charge is fixed from an external force.
I found your sentence confusing: The solution is supposed to also work for the case where the source charge is inside the conducting sphere, in which case the sphere is now a conducting cavity. .
What is a "conducting cavity"? Seems like an oxymoron.
Did you mean an evacuated cavity (a void) within a solid sphere, or just a solid sphere?
The "opposite situation" with the identical soution is for a solid sphere with the original charge somehow glued within that solid sphere.

I don't know about a void (an evacuated volume) within a solid sphere and the original charge within that void..

rude man said:
I found your sentence confusing: The solution is supposed to also work for the case where the source charge is inside the conducting sphere, in which case the sphere is now a conducting cavity. .
What is a "conducting cavity"? Seems like an oxymoron.
Did you mean an evacuated cavity (a void) within a solid sphere, or just a solid sphere?
The "opposite situation" with the identical soution is for a solid sphere with the original charge somehow glued within that solid sphere.

I don't know about a void (an evacuated volume) within a solid sphere and the original charge within that void..
A conducting cavity is a hollow conductor. The solid region is conducting and the hollow region is vacuum. A source charge is in the void, and the void is of a spherical shape.

The most simple setup is to consider just a spherical conducting shell of radius ##a## around the origin. Now put a charge inside the shell. We choose the reference frame such that this charge sits at ##\vec{r}_0=r_0 \vec{e}_3##. For simplicity assume that the shell is grounded, i.e., we look for a solution of the Poisson equation
$$\Delta \phi=-q \delta^{(3)}(\vec{r}-\vec{r}_0)$$
with the boundary condition
$$\phi(\vec{r})|_{|\vec{r}|=0}=0.$$
It is now immidiately clear that in this situation the unique solution for ##|\vec{r}|>a## is the Coulomb potential fulfilling the boundary conditions since there are no charges outside and the spherical shell ##|\vec{r}|=a## is an equipotential surface. Thus we have
$$\phi(\vec{r})=\frac{q}{4 \pi r}-\frac{q}{4 \pi a}.$$
For ##|\vec{r}|<a## we use the image-charge method. By symmetry the image charge ##q'## must sit on the ##x_3## axis outside of the shell. To find ##q'## and its location ##\vec{r}_0'=r_0 \vec{e}_3## we work in spherical coordinates. Inside we have a field given by the charge ##q## and the image charge ##q'##:
$$\phi(\vec{r})=\frac{q}{4 \pi \sqrt{r^2+r_0^2-2 r r_0 \cos \vartheta}} + \frac{q'}{4 \pi \sqrt{r^2+r_0^{\prime 2} -2 r r_0' \cos \vartheta}}.$$
Now for ##r=a## this must be 0, i.e.,
$$q \sqrt{a^2+r_0^{\prime 2} -2 a r_0' \cos \vartheta}=-q' \sqrt{a^2+r_0^2-2 a r_0 \cos \vartheta}.$$
Squaring this gives
$$q^2 (a^2+r_0^{\prime 2} -2 a r_0' \cos \vartheta)=q^{\prime 2} (a^2+r_0^2-2 a r_0 \cos \vartheta).$$
This can only be true if the coefficients in front of ##\cos \vartheta## and the part independent of ##\vartheta## are equal, i.e.,
$$q^2 r_0'=q^{\prime 2} r_0$$
$$q^2 (a^2+r_0^{\prime 2})=q^{\prime 2} (a^2+r_0^2).$$
This leads to a quadratic equation for ##r_0'## which is uniquely solved under the constraint that ##r_0'>a## must hold,
$$r_0'=\frac{a^2}{r_0}$$
Plugging this into the first equation yields
$$q'=\pm \frac{q}{r_0} q.$$
Plugging it into the ansatz for our potential the boundary condition ##\phi(\vec{r})|_{|\vec{r}|=a}## gives then uniquely
$$q'=-\frac{a}{r_0} q.$$
So our potential for ##r \leq a## reads
$$\Phi(\vec{r})=\frac{q}{4 \pi \sqrt{r^2+r_0^2 - 2 r r_0 \cos \vartheta}}-\frac{q a}{4 \pi \sqrt{r^2 r_0^2+a^4 - 2 a^2 r r_0 \cos \vartheta}}.$$

Thank you. The solution is correct. I somehow missed saying in the original question that I was looking for a case when exactly ro=0, source charge being in the centre of the void.

Then it's trivial, and the solution is
$$\Phi(\vec{r})=\frac{q}{4 \pi r} -\frac{q}{4 \pi a}.$$
This you also get from the general solution by setting ##r_0=0##.

vanhees71 said:
Then it's trivial, and the solution is
$$\Phi(\vec{r})=\frac{q}{4 \pi r} -\frac{q}{4 \pi a}.$$
This you also get from the general solution by setting ##r_0=0##.
But where's the image charge and how much charge?

You don't need an image charge in this case, because the boundary condition is fulfilled by symmetry when the charge sits at the center of the sphere.

vanhees71 said:
You don't need an image charge in this case, because the boundary condition is fulfilled by symmetry when the charge sits at the center of the sphere.
Right but it's nicer to understand the image charge in this special case

1. What is the image charge of a source charge in a spherical cavity?

The image charge of a source charge in a spherical cavity is a theoretical concept that describes the distribution of electric charge within the cavity. It is a mirror image of the source charge located at the center of the cavity, with the same magnitude but opposite sign.

2. How is the image charge calculated?

The image charge is calculated using the method of images, which involves placing a mirror charge at the same distance from the center of the cavity as the source charge, but on the opposite side. The magnitude of the image charge is equal to the magnitude of the source charge, and the sign is opposite.

3. What is the purpose of the image charge in a spherical cavity?

The image charge serves as a way to simplify the calculation of electric potential and electric fields within the spherical cavity. By introducing the image charge, the problem can be reduced to a simpler one with known solutions.

4. Does the presence of an image charge affect the behavior of the source charge?

No, the presence of an image charge does not affect the behavior of the source charge. The image charge is a theoretical construct used to simplify calculations, but it does not have any physical presence or influence on the source charge.

5. Can the concept of image charge be applied to other shapes besides a spherical cavity?

Yes, the concept of image charge can be applied to other shapes, such as a conducting sphere or a conducting plane. In these cases, the image charge is still a mirror image of the source charge, but the distance and position may vary depending on the shape of the conducting object.