Electrical flux passing through the cube

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem without using cylindrical shapes and using a cube instead. The relevant equation mentioned is Gauss's law. The conversation also touches on the idea of integrating the flux and the importance of symmetry in solving the problem.
MatinSAR
Homework Statement
Consider a rod with an electric charge density λ that passes through the center of the cube. Prove that the electric flux passing through this cube is equal to = q / ε0
Relevant Equations
Gauss's law
1647210501510.png

Picture for better understanding.
My answer :
1647211185819.png

I want to know how to solve this problem without using cylindrical. I mean how can we solve this using cube and its sides.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
MatinSAR said:
Relevant Equations:: Gauss's law

I want to know how to solve this problem without using cylindrical. I mean how can we solve this using cube and its sides.

What about your relevant equation ?

##\ ##

Likes MatinSAR
BvU said:
What about your relevant equation ?

##\ ##
Thank you ... but what do you mean by relevant equation?

Does your relevant equation worry about the shape of the surface ?

[edit]On the other hand,
Prove that the electric flux passing through this cube is equal to = q / ε0
could be interpreted as an invitation to show that for this case the gauss identity holds. In that case you could actually integrate the flux: you know the electric field (right?) and can benefit from symmetry.

##\ ##

Last edited:
Likes MatinSAR
BvU said:
Does your relevant equation worry about the shape of the surface ?
I guess no it doesn't ... Thank you for your help ...

Likes berkeman

What is electrical flux?

Electrical flux is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts per meter squared (V/m^2).

How is electrical flux calculated?

The electrical flux passing through a surface is calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the surface area and the cosine of the angle between the electric field and the surface normal. This can be represented by the equation Φ = E x A x cos(θ).

What is the unit of measurement for electrical flux?

The unit of measurement for electrical flux is volts per meter squared (V/m^2).

What is the significance of electrical flux passing through a cube?

The electrical flux passing through a cube can be used to determine the strength and direction of an electric field. It is also important in understanding how electric charges interact with each other and their surroundings.

How does the shape of the cube affect the electrical flux passing through it?

The shape of the cube does not affect the total electrical flux passing through it, as long as the surface area and angle between the electric field and surface normal remain constant. However, the distribution of the flux may vary depending on the shape of the cube.