Electrical length of wire wound on magnetic core?

In summary, the equation states that the electrical length of a coil is longer than the physical length. The equation is used to calculate the core permeability of a magnetic material.
BHY-BK
Hi everyone,

I read somewhere that when a coil is wound on a magnetic core it's electrical length becomes longer than it's physical length. I remember seeing this formula

L=l * sqrt Ue

Where L= Electrical length
l=actual (physical) length
Ue=Core permeability

Does anyone know if this is correct and if so what are the units used (Feet, meters)? I tried searching for it again but could not find it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I cannot find any references to this ...

BHY-BK said:
I read somewhere that when a coil is wound on a magnetic core it's electrical length becomes longer than it's physical length.

or this ...

BHY-BK said:
L=l * sqrt Ue

you need to supply some sources

Dave

BHY-BK said:
Hi everyone,

I read somewhere that when a coil is wound on a magnetic core it's electrical length becomes longer than it's physical length. I remember seeing this formula

L=l * sqrt Ue

Where L= Electrical length
l=actual (physical) length
Ue=Core permeability

Does anyone know if this is correct and if so what are the units used (Feet, meters)? I tried searching for it again but could not find it.
It sounds like you are referring to the change in inductance when a wire is wound on a ferrite core versus an air core, or even compared to the inductance of the same length of a straight wire or a single turn.

Like Dave, I'm not familiar with the equation you list. Are you just wanting to compare ferrite-based and air-core inductances?

Something similar to this happens in helical resonators. A coil of wire open at one end and grounded at the other is encased in a shielded enclosure. There are coupling loops adjacent to the resonating coil for coupling power into and out of the filter. The resonant frequency is typically much lower than the 1/4 wave length of the wound coil. This is a very brief description of what happens. There is quite a bit more to it.

I had it written down but can't find out where I originally got it from?
It doesn't make sense to me as I don't understand what effect the core permeability would have on the length?

BHY-BK said:
I had it written down but can't find out where I originally got it from?
It doesn't make sense to me as I don't understand what effect the core permeability would have on the length?
Not "length", "equivalent length for the same inductance". Are you familiar with that concept yet? :smile:

Are you saying you can have lines with the same electrical length but different inductances, I do understand that.

If you take a 1/2 wave length of wire that resonates at some frequency and then insert an air core inductor in series with it, it will resonate at a lower frequency. If you then pull this coil apart so the whole assembly becomes a straight wire again it will NOT resonate at the lower frequency, it will likely resonate at some place in between the original and the lower. In other words, we are not just spooling away extra wire. It does not matter if there is a core or not, the effect of inductance is the same. That is not to say the core makes no difference at all. Is this what you are referring to?

BHY-BK said:
Are you saying you can have lines with the same electrical length but different inductances, I do understand that.
Same *physical* length, with different "electrical lengths". :smile:

Likes BHY-BK

1. What is the purpose of the electrical length of wire wound on a magnetic core?

The electrical length of wire wound on a magnetic core is used to create an inductor, which is a passive electronic component that stores energy in a magnetic field. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to filter and regulate the flow of electrical current.

2. How is the electrical length of wire wound on a magnetic core calculated?

The electrical length of wire wound on a magnetic core is calculated by multiplying the number of turns of wire by the length of each turn. This calculation takes into account the diameter of the wire, the shape and size of the core, and other factors such as the desired inductance.

3. What is the relationship between the electrical length and the inductance of a wire wound on a magnetic core?

The electrical length of wire wound on a magnetic core is directly proportional to the inductance of the inductor. This means that as the electrical length increases, so does the inductance. This relationship is important in designing and optimizing inductors for specific applications.

4. How does the material of the core affect the electrical length of wire wound on it?

The material of the core can affect the electrical length of wire wound on it in several ways. Different materials have different magnetic permeability, which determines how well the core can store magnetic energy. Additionally, the shape and size of the core can also impact the electrical length.

5. Are there any limitations to the electrical length of wire wound on a magnetic core?

There are several limitations to the electrical length of wire wound on a magnetic core. One limitation is that as the length of the wire increases, the resistance also increases, which can lead to energy loss. Additionally, there are physical limitations on the size and shape of the core that can affect the electrical length and inductance. These limitations must be carefully considered in the design of inductors.