Electricity: ammeter range calculation

In summary: It's the same as the blue path, only they're combined. So the voltage across the shunt is the same as the voltage that occurs across the combined meter and series resistance that forms the "red" current.
Epoch

Homework Statement

[/B]

An ammeter has a range of 10mA or 0.01A and a resistor of 20Ω.
Three shunts are used:
R1 = 4Ω ; R2 = 2Ω ; R3 = 4Ω
What will the different ranges be (m3, m2, m1)?
shunt.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

I started by calculating the voltage:
Ua = Ia ⋅ Ra
Ua = 0.01A ⋅ 20Ω = 0.2V
voltage.png

Then I started calculating the current for each resistor
shunt formula.png

I1 = Ia ⋅ Ra / R1 = 0.01A ⋅ 20Ω / 4Ω = 0.05A
I2 = Ia ⋅ Ra / R2 = 0.01A ⋅ 20Ω / 2Ω = 0.1A
I3 = Ia ⋅ Ra / R3 = 0.01A ⋅ 20Ω / 4Ω = 0.05A

And here is where I get lost.
On my answer sheet it says that:
m3 = 0.075A ; m2 = 0.05A ; m1 = 0.03A

Can someone explain me what I'm missing here?
Thanks for reading up until here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Epoh, :welcome:

For example: m1: if 10 mA goes through the meter, how much goes through the shunts ?

BvU said:
Hello Epoh, :welcome:

For example: m1: if 10 mA goes through the meter, how much goes through the shunts ?

I don't know if I'm right but I found something:
If we take m1 that equals 0.03A and put it in the ohm's law we get:
R = Ua / m1 = 0.2 / 0.03 = 6.667Ω

If we find the equivalent resistor for serial we get:
Rt = R1 + R2 + R3 = 10Ω

Then the equivalent resistor for parallel with the serial above:
Rt = 20 ⋅ 10 / 20 + 10 = 6.667Ω

Then again the ohm's law:
m1 = Ua / Rt = 0.2 / 6.667 = 0.0299A
Then indeed it is 0.03A, but this doesn't work with the rest.
A coincidence or am I getting close to the answer?

I'm seriously stuck.
Thanks for your time.

For a full scale reading on the ammeter its current is specified to be 10 mA, so that's a fixed quantity for each of the cases.

For each case determine which resistances are carrying only this 10 mA current (obviously the ammeter 's 20 Ω resistance is always one of them). You may want to make a sketch of the circuit and draw in the currents. Here's an example for the "m2" case. The others can be worked in a similar fashion, but this "middle" case will show the method:
upload_2017-4-7_21-36-38.png

Note the path of the meter current (red) and which components it flows through. Effectively, those components are in series. The remaining resistors then make up the shunt resistance for this case. It has a separate current (blue).

Does that give you any ideas? Can you work from there for this case?

Likes BvU
gneill said:
For a full scale reading on the ammeter its current is specified to be 10 mA, so that's a fixed quantity for each of the cases.

For each case determine which resistances are carrying only this 10 mA current (obviously the ammeter 's 20 Ω resistance is always one of them). You may want to make a sketch of the circuit and draw in the currents. Here's an example for the "m2" case. The others can be worked in a similar fashion, but this "middle" case will show the method:
View attachment 131545

Note the path of the meter current (red) and which components it flows through. Effectively, those components are in series. The remaining resistors then make up the shunt resistance for this case. It has a separate current (blue).

Does that give you any ideas? Can you work from there for this case?

So I tried, I don't know if I'm right,

I1 (blue) = 0.05A
Red through R2 = 0.01A
Ia = 0.01

I1 + red through R2 and R1 + Ia = 0.05 + 0.01 + 0.01 = 0.07
m3 = 0.07
m3.jpg
R = R1 + R2 = 4 + 2 = 6Ω
I blue = U / R = 0.2 / 6 = 0.03A
Red through R3 = 0.01A
Ia = 0.01

I blue + red through R2 + Ia = 0.03 + 0.01 + 0.01 = 0.05
m2 = 0.05
m2.jpg
R = R1 + R2 + R3 = 4 + 2 + 4 = 10Ω
I (blue) = U / R = 0.2 / 10 = 0.02A
Ia = 0.01

Ia + I (blue) = 0.01 + 0.02 = 0.03A
m1 = 0.03
m1.jpg

It's close to my answer sheet, maybe I'm something missing.
Thanks for your time sir.

Last edited:
Okay, the problem is that you're assuming that the voltage across the shunt resistor(s) in each case is the same 0.2 V. It is not.

The voltage across the shunt is the same as the voltage that occurs across the combined meter and series resistance that forms the "red" current. Here's a modified view of the middle case, m2, where the resistance that is part of the meter's path has been moved to highlight their relationship with the shunt resistance:

upload_2017-4-8_11-14-46.png

Now, look at the red path where you know the given current is 10 mA: What's the potential drop from node 0 to m2?

gneill said:
Okay, the problem is that you're assuming that the voltage across the shunt resistor(s) in each case is the same 0.2 V. It is not.

The voltage across the shunt is the same as the voltage that occurs across the combined meter and series resistance that forms the "red" current. Here's a modified view of the middle case, m2, where the resistance that is part of the meter's path has been moved to highlight their relationship with the shunt resistance:

View attachment 133534
Now, look at the red path where you know the given current is 10 mA: What's the potential drop from node 0 to m2?
I think I got it.
I calculated m2 and it seems that It's right.
Since the voltage in parallel is the same in all resistors that are in parallel I came with this answer.
Answer m2.jpg

I also tried m3 with the same method:
Answer m3.png

Excellent! Well done. :smile:

gneill said:
Excellent! Well done. :smile:

Sir, I thank you for your help.

1. What is an ammeter and how does it measure electricity?

An ammeter is a device used to measure the current flowing through a circuit. It works by measuring the amount of charge passing through a point in the circuit per unit time, usually expressed in amperes (A).

2. How do you calculate the range of an ammeter?

The range of an ammeter can be calculated by dividing the maximum current that the ammeter can handle by its sensitivity. For example, if the maximum current is 10 A and the sensitivity is 0.01 A, then the range would be 1000 A.

3. Why is it important to choose the correct ammeter range?

Choosing the correct ammeter range is important because if the current exceeds the range of the ammeter, it can damage the device or give inaccurate readings. Similarly, if the range is too high, the ammeter may not be sensitive enough to accurately measure the current.

4. How do you select the appropriate ammeter range for a given circuit?

To select the appropriate ammeter range, you need to know the expected maximum current in the circuit. Then, choose an ammeter with a range that is slightly higher than the expected maximum current to ensure accurate measurements.

5. Can an ammeter be used to measure AC and DC currents?

Yes, an ammeter can measure both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) currents. However, some ammeters are specifically designed for one type of current, so it is important to check the specifications before use.