Electrochemistry Reference Electrodes

In summary, the task is to convert electric potential readings from an Ag/AgCl system to a RHE system at pH 7. The RHE at pH 7 is calculated to be 0.4137 V, and the equations used for the conversion are Ag/AgCl = 0.222 V and RHE = 0 - 0.0591*pH V. The calculations for the conversion are shown, with a correction made for a discrepancy in the given value for Ag/AgCl.
war485

Homework Statement

Change your electric potential readings from a Ag/AgCl system to a RHE (reversible hydrogen electrode) system at pH 7.

For example, 0.3 V vs Ag/AgCl and -0.1 V vs Ag/AgCl

Homework Equations

Ag/AgCl 0.222 Volts
RHE 0 - 0.0591*pH Volts

The Attempt at a Solution

RHE at pH 7 = 0.4137 V

0.3 V vs Ag/AgCl + (0.197 - 0.4137) = 0.08333 V ?
-0.1 V vs Ag/AgCl + (0.197 - 0.4137) = -0.3167 V ?

Physics news on Phys.org
-0.0591*7 is not 0.4137

Not that I am sure about the correct signs, but what you did looks inconsistent.

ah yes I forgot to put that negative sign on my post. So RHE at pH 7 = 0.4137 V should really be read as RHE at pH 7 = -0.4137 V
everything below that assumed that sign was there in the first place.

Are my signs or thinking inconsistent? I was trying to think of everything in terms of SHE (standard hydrogen electrode), which is marked as 0 V.

What is 0.197?

Edit: I mean, I know what it is, I wonder why you used 0.197 on calculations, but you listed 0.222 earlier.

I was given 0.222 V.
0.197 V would be for a saturated chloride solution, ooh, oups, that belongs to a followup problem (not relevant to this thread), I see what you mean now. It should say 0.222 V not 0.197 V

1. What is an electrochemistry reference electrode?

An electrochemistry reference electrode is a specialized type of electrode used in electrochemical measurements to establish a known reference potential. It is typically made of a stable, inert material and filled with a solution containing a known concentration of a specific ion. This allows for the accurate comparison of potentials between different electrochemical cells.

2. What is the purpose of a reference electrode?

The purpose of a reference electrode is to provide a stable and reproducible reference potential in electrochemical measurements. This allows for the accurate determination of the potential of other electrodes in the same system, and enables the calculation of important parameters such as pH and electrode potential.

3. How does a reference electrode work?

A reference electrode works by maintaining a constant potential at its surface, which is used as a reference for other electrodes. This is achieved by using a known concentration of a specific ion in the filling solution, which creates a stable and reproducible potential. The reference electrode is connected to the working electrode through an external circuit, and the potential difference between the two electrodes is measured.

4. What are the different types of electrochemistry reference electrodes?

There are several types of electrochemistry reference electrodes, including the standard hydrogen electrode (SHE), silver/silver chloride electrode (Ag/AgCl), and saturated calomel electrode (SCE). Other commonly used reference electrodes include the quinhydrone electrode, the mercury/mercury sulfate electrode, and the copper/copper sulfate electrode.

5. How do I choose the right reference electrode for my experiment?

The choice of reference electrode will depend on the specific experimental conditions and the type of electrochemical measurements being performed. It is important to consider factors such as the required potential range, the nature of the solution being measured, and the compatibility of the electrode with other components in the system. Consultation with an experienced electrochemist or a reference electrode handbook can help in selecting the appropriate reference electrode for a particular experiment.