Corrosion data using Electrochemistry

In summary, the conversation discusses an industrial electrochemical process and a lab experiment to understand the effect of electrolyte pH on the corrosion rate of iron. The potential difference between the electrodes in the plant is 3-4 V, but in the lab experiment, it is 6-7 V. This raises questions about the conditions being the same in both setups and the need to have identical potentials and current density for accurate results. There is also a discussion about the three-electrode setup and its components.
Sgta
Hi,

I am a Chemical Engineer but a novice in electrochemistry; hence the query might sound very basic to everyone.

We have an industrial electrochemical process (With Iron anode) and we are conducting a lab experiment to understand what is the effect of electrolyte pH on corrosion rate of Iron (this will include corrosion + electrochemical dissolution). The experiment involves using electrolyte at different pH values galvanostatically in a stirred cell (using a potentiostat) on a known weight of Fe electrode and measuring the weight loss after a period of 2-3 hours of galvanostatic operation. The working electrode in the lab is of course, the Anode (Fe).

My issue relates to the potential being measured in the lab. In our plant, the potential difference between our electrodes is between 3-4 V. In the lab experiment, the potential measured by the reference electrode is close to 6-7 V.

This makes me question :
a) Is our lab experiment at all happening under the same conditions as the plant? Since the potential is different, the corrosion/passivity reactions occurring on the lab Fe electrode might be very different from the plant.
b) If a) is right, do I need to ensure that the voltage in the lab stirred cell is close to the voltage in the plant.

Thanks,
Sgta

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You need these potentials to be identical, no doubt about it. Actually to be sure you should work on having both potential difference and current density (A/cm2) similar to the production set up.

Thanks Borek. I agree with your current density point too and are working towards it. Another question: 3-4 V is the potential difference between our electrode whereas 6-7 V is the potential measured for the working electrode i.e. it is the difference between the Anode and the solution. This means that the actual potential difference between the working and counter electrode in the lab is higher than 7 V. Is that right ?

Sorry, but I have problems following your description. In the electrochemistry world that I worked for a short time over 20 years ago we often used three electrodes setup:

- working electrode (be it anode or cathode, that depends on the system researched)

- reference electrode (one that is used to measure the potential of the working electrode)

- counter electrode (AKA auxiliary electrode) which is just a current sink - reference electrode is way too delicate to survive huge currents.

I am not sure I am able to translate your system to this one.

Hello Sgta,

Thank you for reaching out with your query. I understand your concerns and would be happy to provide some insights.

Firstly, your experiment to study the effect of electrolyte pH on corrosion rate of iron is a valid and important one. Electrochemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the relationship between electricity and chemical reactions. In your case, the electrochemical process involves the transfer of electrons between the iron anode and the electrolyte, which leads to corrosion.

Now, to address your concerns about the potential difference between your lab experiment and the plant conditions. It is important to note that the potential difference between the electrodes is not a fixed value and can vary depending on several factors such as electrolyte composition, temperature, and electrode material. Therefore, it is not necessary for the potential to be exactly the same in both cases.

To answer your first question, it is possible that the corrosion reactions occurring in your lab experiment may not be exactly the same as those in the plant due to the difference in potential. However, this does not mean that your experiment is not valid. The purpose of your experiment is to understand the effect of pH on corrosion rate, and this can still be achieved even if the potential is slightly different.

To address your second question, it is not necessary to ensure that the voltage in the lab stirred cell is close to the plant conditions. However, it is important to maintain a consistent voltage in your lab experiment to ensure reliable and reproducible results.

In conclusion, while the potential difference between your lab and plant conditions may not be the same, your experiment is still valid and can provide valuable insights into the effect of pH on corrosion rate. I hope this helps clarify your concerns. Keep up the good work in your research!

Best regards,

1. What is corrosion and why is it important to study?

Corrosion is a natural process that involves the deterioration of materials, usually metals, due to chemical reactions with their environment. It is important to study because it can lead to structural failures, reduced lifespan of materials, and increased maintenance costs.

2. How is electrochemistry used to study corrosion?

Electrochemistry is the study of the relationship between electricity and chemical reactions. It is used to study corrosion by measuring the flow of electrons between a metal surface and its surrounding environment. This helps to determine the rate and extent of corrosion.

3. What types of data can be collected using electrochemistry to study corrosion?

Electrochemistry can collect data on the corrosion rate, extent of corrosion, and the type of corrosion occurring. It can also provide information on the effectiveness of corrosion prevention methods and the potential for future corrosion.

4. How is corrosion data using electrochemistry analyzed?

Corrosion data collected using electrochemistry is analyzed by plotting current versus time or potential versus time curves. These curves can provide information on the kinetics and mechanism of the corrosion process, as well as the effectiveness of corrosion inhibitors.

5. What are some limitations of using electrochemistry to study corrosion?

Some limitations of using electrochemistry to study corrosion include the need for specialized equipment and expertise, as well as the difficulty in accurately simulating real-life conditions. It also does not take into account other factors that can influence corrosion, such as mechanical stress and temperature changes.