Electrocutions: Downed power lines kill 3; survivors not shocked at all

In summary, a downed power line in San Bernardino resulted in the death of three individuals. The conversation also touched on the insensitivity of making puns at the expense of tragedy and the impact of sensationalized headlines in media.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Downed power line kills 3 in San Bernardino

I wonder if there's a special place in hell for those that make puns at the expense of people dying in a horrible accident.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you didn't say it I would have.

I guess title has been changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Headlines like that are a major reason I visit fark.com.

Woooow. Any other comment is not appropriate for this forum so... WOW.

that sort of conduct is hard to resist, but as long as no government officials were involved, he should be insulated from repercussions.

1. What causes downed power lines?

Downed power lines can be caused by a variety of factors, such as severe weather conditions like strong winds or lightning strikes, vehicle accidents, or equipment malfunctions.

2. How dangerous are downed power lines?

Downed power lines are extremely dangerous and can be fatal. The risk of electrocution is high, as even low-voltage power lines can carry enough electricity to cause serious injury or death.

3. What should I do if I see a downed power line?

If you see a downed power line, stay away and do not touch it. Call your local power company or emergency services immediately to report the issue.

4. Can survivors of electrocution from downed power lines be shocked at all?

Survivors of electrocution from downed power lines may not experience any immediate shock, as the electricity may have already passed through their body. However, they are still at risk for serious injuries and should seek medical attention immediately.

5. How can I protect myself from downed power lines?

The best way to protect yourself from downed power lines is to always assume they are live and stay away from them. If you are in a vehicle and encounter a downed power line, stay inside the vehicle and call for help. If you are outside, keep a safe distance of at least 30 feet and warn others to stay away as well.