Electrodynamics - finding potential of a non conducting shell

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential at any distance from a spherical, charged, non-conducting shell with a given surface potential. The speaker is unsure how to relate the surface potential to the radius and whether solving the Laplace equation is necessary. They also mention using Legendre polynomials and the general solution of Laplace's equation in spherical coordinates.
jerry222
Homework Statement
Consider a spherical, charged, non-conducting shell of radius R. Given "surface potential", find potential at any distance.

I do realise there might be such a thing as a surface potential but how can i relate it to R, the distance? Am i supposed to solve the laplace equation with the given surface potential as a solution? I'm a bit stuck, appreciate any hint
Relevant Equations
$\Del V = 0$
1678984406573.png

Physics news on Phys.org
jerry222 said:
Homework Statement:: Consider a spherical, charged, non-conducting shell of radius R. Given "surface potential", find potential at any distance.

I do realise there might be such a thing as a surface potential but how can i relate it to R, the distance? Am i supposed to solve the laplace equation with the given surface potential as a solution? I'm a bit stuck, appreciate any hint
Relevant Equations:: $\Del V = 0$

View attachment 323688
Have you tried part (b) first?
From the answer to that you should be able to get the answer to (a) if the integral is not too nasty.

jerry222 said:
Am i supposed to solve the laplace equation with the given surface potential as a solution?
Yes. My hint would be to notice that the potential on the surface of the sphere, that you are given, can be expressed as the sum of just a few Legendre polynomials with certain coefficients. Then compare to the general solution of Laplace's equation in spherical coordinates for problems with azimuthal symmetry. Hopefully, you're familiar with equation (14) here.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71

1. What is electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields. It encompasses the study of electric charges, electric and magnetic fields, and their interactions.

2. What is the potential of a non conducting shell?

The potential of a non conducting shell refers to the electric potential on the surface of a non conducting object. It is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point on the surface of the object.

3. How is the potential of a non conducting shell calculated?

The potential of a non conducting shell can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell to the point where the potential is being calculated.

4. What is the significance of finding the potential of a non conducting shell?

Finding the potential of a non conducting shell is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and their interactions with non conducting objects. It also allows us to calculate the electric potential energy of the object and determine its equilibrium state.

5. Can the potential of a non conducting shell change?

Yes, the potential of a non conducting shell can change if the charge on the shell or the distance from the center of the shell is altered. It can also change if there are other electrically charged objects nearby that can influence the electric field around the shell.